Discuss Switching iPhone 2G to a new account at the iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x) - Hackint0sh.org; I lost my AT&T iPhone 3GS last week, and as a replacement borrowed my friend's ...
Switching iPhone 2G to a new account
I lost my AT&T iPhone 3GS last week, and as a replacement borrowed my friend's old 2G (also on AT&T).
I took it to an official AT&T store and they tried activating it with brand new SIM card, but they got the following error in iTunes:
The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to active the iPhone.
Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.
I was able to restore my 3GS back-up on the 2G phone, but only when using the old SIM card. The phone shows up in iTunes with my friend's phone number. When trying a new SIM card, I get the above error both at the AT&T and on my iMac at home.
I'm not sure if the phone is unlocked. Here are my questions:
- Does the phone need to be unlocked?
- Does my friend have to be at the store to unlock it, or can I ask them to do it?
- Can I unlock it myself with jailbreak software?
- Will unlocking it myself cause problems at the AT&T store?
Last edited by petroleumjelliffe; 05-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Originally Posted by petroleumjelliffe
- It is not unlocked - the 2G iPhone behaves differently when swapping SIM cards to the 3G and 3GS.
- AT&T won't unlock it - ever. They refuse to support this. Lobby your local senator to push for regulations forcing carriers to unlock phones after their contract has expired.
- Yes you can jailbreak it and hacktivate it.
- It is quite likely that unofficial unlock or jailbreak/hacktivation will cause problems if you ever take the iPhone into the AT&T store. You can of course reverse the jailbreak and remove all trace before you take the iPhone into the store.
Please read the stickies & search forum before posting! How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter
Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!
By Normal66 in forum iPhone 4
Last Post: 01-27-2011, 04:24 AM
By jshek007 in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
By imakazukikid in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
Last Post: 07-06-2009, 01:24 AM
By sedjav in forum iPhone 3G
Last Post: 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
By sariano83 in forum General
Last Post: 12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Tags for this Thread