Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 229
Discuss Push Notifications on iPhone 2G (EDGE w/ OS3.0) at the iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x) - Hackint0sh.org; Up until 3.1.2 I was never able to get push working. Then I saw this ...
  1. #151
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Up until 3.1.2 I was never able to get push working. Then I saw this post with FW 3.1.2 prior to pawnage or any DEV team release. After about 24 hours of looking around the net. I decided this FW was legit & had not cause any problems. So I loaded my first gen up. To my delight its activated & push is working everything is working perfectly.

    Here is a link to my local Australian mac forum where you can look over & make a decision if you also want to try.

    3.1.2 Was released overnight - Page 2 - MacTalk Forums

    I really would like to know who & how this firmware was made seeing DEV team hadn't released any tools. Which indicates to me there is more than one way to crack iPhone firmware. Or is this some sort of leaked firmware from Apple ? As I know some Australian telephone technicians did have unlocked first gens for testing. So I gather other telcos around the globe would have had similar.


  2. #152
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    Up until 3.1.2 I was never able to get push working. Then I saw this post with FW 3.1.2 prior to pawnage or any DEV team release. After about 24 hours of looking around the net. I decided this FW was legit & had not cause any problems. So I loaded my first gen up. To my delight its activated & push is working everything is working perfectly.

    I really would like to know who & how this firmware was made seeing DEV team hadn't released any tools. Which indicates to me there is more than one way to crack iPhone firmware.
    The basic tools behind pwnagetool are open sourced and usually do not require the dev team to update them for minor iPhone OS releases (eg 3.0 to 3.1)

    I have downloaded this firmware and tried to examine the differences between the root and restore disk images contained in the ipsw
    comparison was with a custom firmware I had created using pwnagetool 3.1.4

    The differences I can see are:

    • will update baseband (which is not a problem for 2G iPhones)
    • the numeric battery is enabled
    • creates a 750MB root partition, rather than 563MB.
    • pre-patched to install cracked applications.


    The file DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 is also different between the two, I am not sure why, possibly the people behind this custom ipsw did not have access to the full set of patches that the dev team have. I highly doubt this could fix the push notifications issue.

    I can't see any differences that could be considered significant outside of these items.
    Last edited by Olethros; 10-21-2009 at 09:13 PM.

  3. #153
    Advanced Array CorranQ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    México, D.F. - México
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    I have downloaded this firmware and tried to examine the differences between the root and restore disk images contained in the ipsw
    I compared with a custom firmware I had created using pwnagetool 3.1.4

    The differences I can see are:

    • will update baseband (which is not a problem for 2G iPhones)
    • the numeric battery is enabled
    • creates a 750MB root partition, rather than 563MB.
    • pre-patched to install cracked applications.


    I can't see any differences that could be considered significant outside of these items.
    Hmm, interesting... so there was nothing in particular for the push certs?
    "Keep it real, or not at all..." - E.L.R.A.

  4. #154
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    The only unexplained difference is DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 pwnage tool does not change this file at all but it is definitely changed in the other ipsw. I cannot yet explain why it is changed and because it is a binary file I can't really tell what the changes are.

  5. #155
    Advanced Array CorranQ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    México, D.F. - México
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    The only unexplained difference is DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 pwnage tool does not change this file at all but it is definitely changed in the other ipsw. I cannot yet explain why it is changed and because it is a binary file I can't really tell what the changes are.
    Hrrrm, I wonder if that's what could be enabling the push certificate...
    "Keep it real, or not at all..." - E.L.R.A.


  6. #156
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I am really glad you guys did read my post & taking a look. My first gen is running like a champ on that firmware. And I was so worried using something from a questionable source. But it was ok this time, but not something I would recommend. This would be such an easy way seeing it was hacked & released prior to any other tools availability for a serious trojan or virus to be inserted.

    Hopefully someone here will know who did make this firmware & what they used ? So we can fix this push issue & keep first gen iPhone alive. As I notice with each release less & less interest & information.

  7. #157
    Advanced Array CorranQ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    México, D.F. - México
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    I am really glad you guys did read my post & taking a look. My first gen is running like a champ on that firmware. And I was so worried using something from a questionable source. But it was ok this time, but not something I would recommend. This would be such an easy way seeing it was hacked & released prior to any other tools availability for a serious trojan or virus to be inserted.

    Hopefully someone here will know who did make this firmware & what they used ? So we can fix this push issue & keep first gen iPhone alive. As I notice with each release less & less interest & information.
    Well sadly that's just the way of things, technology gets replaced :-S I'm actually close to swapping out for a 3GS myself :-S
    "Keep it real, or not at all..." - E.L.R.A.

  8. #158
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    For those of you who want to test the impact of the DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 file in isolation, first download the firmware mentioned earlier. Open that with any zip application and extract out the DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 which is located in Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.m68ap.production/

    Then make a custom firmware as you would like it to be configured with pwnage tool and use a zip tool to replace the DeviceTree.m68ap.img3 with the one extracted from the other firmware.

    You should be able to restore this hybrid ipsw normally with iTunes and see if changing that file actually fixes push notifications.

    I already have upgraded to a factory unlocked 3GS, which I use for work purposes and has push notifications working as expected.

    Don't actually use push notifications on the 2G iPhone as I only really use the 2G iPhone for my personal calls and for testing out things I don't want to risk on my 3GS.

  9. #159
    The Man Array aviegas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,108
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    73

    Default

    Well, my understanding it that the problem cannot be fixed with patches. The problem is that the push server uses the certificate to uniquely identify each iPhone and knows where to send the notifications.

    The standard jailbreak Hacktivation uses the same certificates for all iPhones (for YouTube and Push). It will not work because several iPhones will be registering with the server with the same "indentification".

    As I understand, each iPhone is required a unique certificate for push to work correctly. And the only way I know of making these certs is with normal iTunes based activation. The nice thing about it is that each time a phone is activated a different certificate is created!

    So far I'm using certificates from a valid activation on a Hacktivated iPhone without problems.

    The program that the Dev-Team members wrote (nimble/inject) works. The problem is that people assumed that they could share the certificates and there are tons of "tutorials" and even cydia packages that include a set of certificates, so it will work for a while, until another iPhone, with the same certs register with the push server.

    The ultimate fix would require a program to generate those certs and then inject them in the keychain. So far I have not seen it, except for someone that charges US$5.99 for the certificates.

  10. #160
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aviegas View Post
    Well, my understanding it that the problem cannot be fixed with patches. The problem is that the push server uses the certificate to uniquely identify each iPhone and knows where to send the notifications.

    The standard jailbreak Hacktivation uses the same certificates for all iPhones (for YouTube and Push). It will not work because several iPhones will be registering with the server with the same "indentification".

    As I understand, each iPhone is required a unique certificate for push to work correctly. And the only way I know of making these certs is with normal iTunes based activation. The nice thing about it is that each time a phone is activated a different certificate is created!

    So far I'm using certificates from a valid activation on a Hacktivated iPhone without problems.

    The program that the Dev-Team members wrote (nimble/inject) works. The problem is that people assumed that they could share the certificates and there are tons of "tutorials" and even cydia packages that include a set of certificates, so it will work for a while, until another iPhone, with the same certs register with the push server.

    The ultimate fix would require a program to generate those certs and then inject them in the keychain. So far I have not seen it, except for someone that charges US$5.99 for the certificates.
    This is also my understanding, and is why I took apart this firmware to look for changes. I still doubt that the original poster got push notifications properly working simply because of this hacked firmware. I cannot find a reason why it would work. I think the devicetree is a red herring and has nothing to do with solving this.

    Does anyone know more about the structure of these unique certs? Do you get a new unique cert if you restore your phone and activate again? Is the UDID of the device embedded into the cert at all? There is some good information about which files are critical to push on the forum of the guy who is selling certificates.

    Push Fix • View topic - Try this if all else fails


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Not receiving Push Notifications on iPhone 4
    By jjesurun in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
  2. Push Notifications in a JB 2G iPhone
    By imactor in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:24 AM
  3. Push notifications on iPhone 3g?
    By powerpcougar in forum PwnageTool
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
  4. MacRumors: 'Push' Notifications Coming in iPhone 2.2.1?
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:18 PM.
twitter, follow us!