Unlock/Jailbreak a validly-activated phone (for push)?
I just inherited an ATT iPhone 2g from a family friend. Sweet. I don't live in the US, so obviously unlock/jb are a must for me.
I've been reading through the forums trying to figure out how to enable push notifications for my phone. Here's the story so far:
1. Received a validly-activated iphone w/ 2.x firmware
2. I've successfully used pwnagetool to install/hacktivate/unlock/JB my iphone with fw v3.1.2.
3. Installed a bunch of apps and generally had a stupid grin on my face for having an iPhone.
4. Realized that the certs that I had on the iPhone before I overwrote it with hacktivated firmware would probably make push work.
I'd like to get push notifications working. After reading the forums, this is my plan of action. Will what I have in mind work?
1. Use pwnagetool to make a 3.1.2 ipsw WITHOUT "activate" checked. E.G. jailbroken and unlocked but not hacktivated.
2. Use my friend's AT&T sim to activate via iTunes.
3. Pop out the AT&T sim, pop in my non-AT&T sim.
4. Download all my apps again... (?)
If my plan doesn't work, how else would you go about the process? I have the original AT&T sim at my disposal.
On a related note: I've purchased a bunch of apps via the app store. Will I need to repurchase those apps after reformatting my iPhone?