Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84
Discuss Upgrade ideneb leopard to snow leopard at the Installation - Hackint0sh.org; Hey, I got an hackintoshed laptop PC with leopard on it, for programming purposes I ...
  1. #1
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Upgrade ideneb leopard to snow leopard

    Hey, I got an hackintoshed laptop PC with leopard on it, for programming purposes I want to upgrade to snow leopard, do I need to format or is there an easier way?

    If I need to format and re-install snow leopard, I will be happy to have a link to the installation + a small tutorial...

    Thanks alot for any help!(:



  2. #2
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blank6 View Post
    Hey, I got an hackintoshed laptop PC with leopard on it, for programming purposes I want to upgrade to snow leopard, do I need to format or is there an easier way?

    If I need to format and re-install snow leopard, I will be happy to have a link to the installation + a small tutorial...

    Thanks alot for any help!(:
    Hi,
    It's recommended that you do a clean fresh installation of SL rather than upgrading for better performance and system stability.
    Regards,

  3. #3
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm really using this computer only for programming for the iPhone, if there is an easier way with less stability and less performence I prefer taking it,

    that's because I'm not sure what drivers I need for this computer - I don't remember what are his insides..

    Is there such a way? thanks^^

  4. #4
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blank6 View Post
    I'm really using this computer only for programming for the iPhone, if there is an easier way with less stability and less performence I prefer taking it,

    that's because I'm not sure what drivers I need for this computer - I don't remember what are his insides..

    Is there such a way? thanks^^
    Hi,
    My assumption is that you don't understand your question in the first place.
    Leopard (10.5.x) and Snow Leopard (10.6.x) are two different animals in the same cat family.
    Their systems appear similar but are not totally interchangeable. So the term upgrade doesn't quite apply, even if one can manipulate the files/system to make it workable, and it's not that easy.
    That is why this forum has different sections for Leopard and Snow Leopard.
    Regards,

  5. #5
    Senior Professional Array Dj Osiris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    I would leave Leopard on instead of reformatting and make another partition for Snow. Once you get Snow stable then you can 86 Leopard if you want. Hope this helps.


  6. #6
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the replys[:

    Decided to go on formating the mac (as a new partition) - http://www.hackint0sh.org/showthread...071#post542071

    Quote Originally Posted by ratvn View Post
    Hi,
    My assumption is that you don't understand your question in the first place.
    Leopard (10.5.x) and Snow Leopard (10.6.x) are two different animals in the same cat family.
    Their systems appear similar but are not totally interchangeable. So the term upgrade doesn't quite apply, even if one can manipulate the files/system to make it workable, and it's not that easy.
    That is why this forum has different sections for Leopard and Snow Leopard.
    Regards,
    For some reason I thought someone once told me Mac OS are built in the way users can upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard with a click of a button without having to pay, (of course unlike Windows)
    I apperantly misunderstood^^
    It seemed logic because, for example, to program for iPhone O.S. 3.1.2 it tells me that my Mac OS is old and I need to "upgrade" to 1.6.2.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Osiris View Post
    I would leave Leopard on instead of reformatting and make another partition for Snow. Once you get Snow stable then you can 86 Leopard if you want. Hope this helps.
    Sounds great^^ but I'm a total noob in formatting computers, espcialliy mac computers, I don't know how to create a partition and how to install the new OS on the new partition.
    I will be fine with some tutorials, can you direct me to something to start with?
    Last edited by blank6; 05-13-2010 at 07:09 PM.

  7. #7
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blank6 View Post

    For some reason I thought someone once told me Mac OS are built in the way users can upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard with a click of a button without having to pay, (of course unlike Windows)
    I apperantly misunderstood^^
    It seemed logic because, for example, to program for iPhone O.S. 3.1.2 it tells me that my Mac OS is old and I need to "upgrade" to 1.6.2.

    Sounds great^^ but I'm a total noob in formatting computers, espcialliy mac computers, I don't know how to create a partition and how to install the new OS on the new partition.
    I will be fine with some tutorials, can you direct me to something to start with?
    Hi,
    Yes, Mac os user can upgrade to SL (Snow Leopard) with a click ON Mac pc hardware. Apple works hard to make sure that won't happen on non-mac pc, even many components between the two came out from the same manufacturers. And that is why we're here in hackintosh.

    As Dj Osiris advised, you best bet would be leaving Leopard on and make another partition for SL. Use your existing Leopard to install SL is the fastest and easiest way to repair/modify files/system during your SL installation process. In worst case scenario, you're still running OSX
    That method is refer to as apple retail DVD, highly favorable by many.
    I will see if I can direct you to such a guide for your hardware (being a bit hard to find, a general one is more available but you need specific files for your system).
    You may ask Dj Osiris to assist you with the hard drive repartition/format.
    Regards,

  8. #8
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratvn View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, Mac os user can upgrade to SL (Snow Leopard) with a click ON Mac pc hardware. Apple works hard to make sure that won't happen on non-mac pc, even many components between the two came out from the same manufacturers. And that is why we're here in hackintosh.

    As Dj Osiris advised, you best bet would be leaving Leopard on and make another partition for SL. Use your existing Leopard to install SL is the fastest and easiest way to repair/modify files/system during your SL installation process. In worst case scenario, you're still running OSX
    That method is refer to as apple retail DVD, highly favorable by many.
    I will see if I can direct you to such a guide for your hardware (being a bit hard to find, a general one is more available but you need specific files for your system).
    You may ask Dj Osiris to assist you with the hard drive repartition/format.
    Regards,
    Oh ok then now I understand a little better, but still a total noob
    I don't think I will be able to figure out which files I need for my specific hardware, so I will gladly wait for your help on the topic(:

    Re-partitioning and formating is probably all over the web so I believe I will manage doing it myself
    By the way - how much does a retail copy cost more or less?

    [Thanks for the help!]

  9. #9
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blank6 View Post
    Oh ok then now I understand a little better, but still a total noob
    I don't think I will be able to figure out which files I need for my specific hardware, so I will gladly wait for your help on the topic(:

    Re-partitioning and formating is probably all over the web so I believe I will manage doing it myself
    By the way - how much does a retail copy cost more or less?

    [Thanks for the help!]
    They have one on amazon for 29.99. It is retail, not upgrade. So its pretty dagum cheap

  10. #10
    Senior Professional Array Dj Osiris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Well if your disk drive is GUID you can just use Disk Utility to resize and create a partition. If MBR there is many different ways to accomplish the job, using Partition Magic would be one. Also System Profiler can be used to aid in what kext you need for Snow. Hope this helps


 

 
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yes or NO - Can I upgrade iDeneb to Snow Leopard on MBR 64-bit PC?
    By somewhat_confused in forum Distributions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM
  2. How to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard
    By somewhat_confused in forum Distributions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 07:37 PM
  3. iDeneb 1.6 (Lite) to Snow Leopard...
    By egrog1717 in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM
  4. Upgrade ideneb leopard to snow leopard
    By blank6 in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:28 AM.
twitter, follow us!