[1.1.2 OTB] HW Unlock - solved baseband not resp... - many pitfalls
last night I successfully hardware-unlocked my first iphone (1.1.2OTB, BL4.06).
As stated many times here, opening the beast is a matter of hours. You need to be very patient and put severe pressure to your iphone, therefore you risk scratches and other damages that can only be covered by silicon case afterwards.
Here is the story:
After opening the phone, we scratched the testpoint. Be very careful with this, you don't need to put a lot of pressure on it, be very gentle with the needle. And: use a strong magnifier glass and a really good light source (LED?), because otherwise it is very hard to see anything.
Then we continued (using the excellent instructions from hackthatphone) and connected via putty. After issuing the ienew command, we immediately lost wifi, so the connection dropped without seeing any output from the command. So the tip is, issue all commands directly from vt-terminal on the phone. (use tab-completion: tap in the middle of the screen and you see a shortcut circle, tab is bottom-left).
We issued "ienew" again, but got an error "Can't write". We made sure that commcenter was unloaded and tried again without luck. So we continued with the "iunew" plus testpoint. After a couple of tries, we succeeded. (We had the phone laying on a glass table. I issued the command with a 30 second lead time and got myself under the table to tell my friend when to connect the testpoint.) Be patient, it's not that big deal. But again, use the magnifier glass.
During the flash we had some messages like AT Spamming and stuff...
Then "bbupdater -v" spits out an error that comm layer couldn't be accessed (Failed to initialize comm layer: (is it open by another app?)).
We booted the phone again to springboard and noticed that wifi, imei, iccid were gone. So we connected the phone via usb to the laptop and connected via ibrickr. We created a new folder and put the ienew-stuff + nor-file on the phone via usb, but this time we grabbed the files again from another location. I am not sure if i.unlock.no has fixed his error with the nor-file....
After that, we disconnected usb and opened the terminal on the phone again. We changed to that folder "cd /usr/unlock" and issued the right permissions with "chmod +x *". Then we unloaded the comm center and issued "./ienew" which this time got the expected result with many hex-lines running up the screen.
Execution of "./iunew" got (after a few tries) the expected result as well, but again "bbupdater -v" spitted out that the baseband didn't respond to pings.
We booted the phone but received the message, that the iphone needs repair. We said to each other, yes - we will do that ;). So we restored to 1.1.2 and back again to 1.1.1. This time the message was gone. The rest is maculation.
Getting the 1.1.1 jailbreak, oktoprep, "update" to 1.1.2 and jailbreak again. Run anysim1.2.1u and everything went fine in the end.
I hope this helps people that got stuck with no baseband and no iccid.