Discuss Need help to pick new hardware for a hackintosh - questions inside :) at the Hardware - Hackint0sh.org; Hey everyone
I am up to get a new PC. The reason is easy - ...
Need help to pick new hardware for a hackintosh - questions inside :)
I am up to get a new PC. The reason is easy - I am a Mac user, but Apple does not provide me with the kind of computer I need. Therefore, I want to buy a PC with the hardware I need (which is in particular a decent grafikcard) and run Mac OSX x86 on it. Thanks to all you guys who actually make that possible!
Since I will get everything from the scratch I want to buy only hardware components that allow me to run OS 10.4.10. If possible w/o to much hazzle. I already checked the wiki and read here in the forum but I need some more help. Can you guys please help me to pick the right hardware? And I have a lot of questions...
I want to build up a computer that can run todays games in a decent speed at 1600x1050 resolution. AMD or intel is just a matter of price, not of taste. OSX should be my main operating system and Win XP or Vista should be installed only for games. So I want a mid range dual core CPU, a fast grafik card and 2 gigs of memory.
- I use virtualization a lot (parallels or VM) to run winXP on OSX. Does it matter whether I go for AMD or intel? I.e. does Mac OSX support vanderpool (intel) AND "Pacifica" (AMD) or only the intel solution? Can I use virtualization with any CPU supporting it? Problem is that I would have to go for an E6XX0 in order to have virtualization on intel while I could get a lot cheaper system with an overclocked AMD X2 4000+, includung the option to upgrade to the new AMD CPUs as soon as they hit the market. I would prefere the later solution.
- What about energy saving? Does OSX support speedstep (intel) and Cool and Quite (AMD)? Will my system clock down and save energy with any dual cora CPU?
- Are there any other things I have to take care of when I choose the right CPU for OSX or are AMD and intel dual core CPUs likewise supported? Would you rather recomend an intel system for OSX or can I also go for AMD?
I want a microATX board w/ firewire. Everything but video should work under OSX since I would like to use onboard sound / firewire / LAN / SATA but not onboard GPU
- For intel I would like to pick a G33 Board, in particular this one:
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R, G33 (dual PC2-6400U DDR2)
Specs: G33/ICH9R • µATX • VGA/USB 2.0/FireWire/Gb LAN/6x SATA II RAID/7.1 Audio (ALC889A) • 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x4, 2x PCI • unterstützt Intel Core 2 Duo/Extreme/Quad 45nm • unterstützt FSB 333MHz (1333MHz)
Is everything supported or can I get everything to work? Or would you recomend another board? Can I get SATA to work (I'd like to use a external eSATA drive and need hot plug).
- for AMD I would pick a G690 board (or a 780 if they come to the market soon enough). In particular this one:
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, 690G (dual PC2-6400U DDR2)
Specs: AMD 690G/ SB600 • µATX • VGA/DVI/HDMI/USB 2.0/FireWire/Gb LAN/SATA II RAID/7.1 Audio (ALC889A) • 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x4, 2x PCI
Is everything supported or can I get everything to work? Or would you recomend another board?
I wont need full 3D power in Mac OSX. However, I need full support of Core Image. I want to use software like Apperture that make heavy use of the GPU in order to render pictures in real time. And I like to have a quiet system, so the fan should turn down in 2D mode.
- Am I right that I need a hacked BIOS for every nvidia card while ATI cards work out of the box (if supported)? And am I right that the new upper class nvidia cards (8x00) and the new ATI cards (HD 2900 XT) are not yet supported? So the fastest I can go would be a Radeon 1950XTX. Is this correct?
In that case I would try to get a 1950 XT or XTX. Will this be fully supported in OSX and allow me to make full use of programs like Apperture? What grafikcard would you recomend instead?
Any more things I should take care of in order to get a good working OSX system?
Thank you all in advance! This is a great project, keep up the good work.
Exactly what I wanted to know
I couldn't have put my own questions any better. I hope someone responds who knows things--ie. not me.
If your building a OSX86 box, always go with Intel. It will require less work, is better supported and usually gets updates before AMD users do. Also, virtualization is only supported on Intel cpu's. That G33 board looks like a good choice, but it doesn't have an eSATA port. You may want to look at the Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H. Either way don't expect hot plug to work. The 1950XTX is the fastest working video card right now, but the HD2600 is working and has more features.
By THX-UltraII in forum Installation
Last Post: 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
By enslaved in forum Hardware
Last Post: 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Last Post: 01-07-2008, 03:42 AM
By Prepster in forum General
Last Post: 09-13-2007, 12:04 AM