Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Discuss Web sharing question. at the Genuine Mac Support - Hackint0sh.org; I have Web Sharing enabled on my Mac mini. Now, I want to be able ...
  1. #1
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array jashsayani's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Web sharing question.

    I have Web Sharing enabled on my Mac mini. Now, I want to be able to access my Music folder (/Users/Jash/Music) using Web sharing (/localhost/Music). How do I do this ??

    Creating an alias did not work...


    Do I have to add the additional folder in httpd.conf ? If so, what do I have to add and where?

    Thanks.
    My iPhone
    iPhone 4 (32 GB) Black, Firmware 4.1

    My Mac mini
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

    My MacBook
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.4

    My Blogs:
    Jash's Blog: http://www.jashsayani.com
    The iFone Blog: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Not sure if aliases that work in HFS would work with http... But for your situation, I would suggest you try Kavatunes. While it's pay software, it's totally worth it if you ask me.
    iMac 20' Intel Core 2 duo 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.1 "Leopard"
    Hackintosh Q6600 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 9800GT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 "Leopard" (EFI-X)
    Macbook 13' Intel Core 2 duo 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 "Leopard"
    iPhone 2G (8GB) 2.2 (1.1.2 OTB) Week 48 J'B'ken + Activated + Unlocked

  3. #3
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array jashsayani's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikinerd View Post
    Not sure if aliases that work in HFS would work with http... But for your situation, I would suggest you try Kavatunes. While it's pay software, it's totally worth it if you ask me.
    I have already purchased KavaTunes. Only after purchasing it, I asked the question. As KavaTunes does not work. It tells me that I cannot play the file as Localhost/music is not shared.

    The damn software should have a sharing wizard to enable sharing or forwarding path to the dir on request.


    Now how do I share /Users/Jash/Music as Localhost/Music to get it to work ??
    My iPhone
    iPhone 4 (32 GB) Black, Firmware 4.1

    My Mac mini
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

    My MacBook
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.4

    My Blogs:
    Jash's Blog: http://www.jashsayani.com
    The iFone Blog: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Maybe something to do with permissions?

    (I've used the trial, didn't get any problems...)

    PS. any exact wording on errors may also come in handy...
    Last edited by Wikinerd; 03-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    iMac 20' Intel Core 2 duo 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.1 "Leopard"
    Hackintosh Q6600 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 9800GT, Mac OS X 10.5.6 "Leopard" (EFI-X)
    Macbook 13' Intel Core 2 duo 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 "Leopard"
    iPhone 2G (8GB) 2.2 (1.1.2 OTB) Week 48 J'B'ken + Activated + Unlocked

  5. #5
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array jashsayani's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Here's what it says:

    The song “NAME OF SONG” could not be played because the file is not available.

    If you are viewing someone else's catalog

    The author of this site may have chosen not to make some or all of their music available.

    If you are trying to make your own music available

    To play music through your catalog, you need to make your music available on the internet. You can use Web Sharing on your Mac to share your music folder, or upload your music folder to another web server. See the KavaTunes Help for more information.

    The music folder is not available at http://jash-sayanis-mac-mini.local/music/. Note that you cannot connect to localhost from another computer, or a .local name from outside your local network.

    Part------------Link-------------------------------------------------------Available
    Music folder----http://jash-sayanis-mac-mini.local/music/-------No
    Album folder----.../file://localhost/Users/Jash/Music/PLAYLIST/------------No
    Song file-------.../FILE NAME.mp3------------------------------------------No

    If you are using port forwarding or authentication, your music may still be available. To avoid this warning in the future, you can disable checking files in the Music preferences.
    Last edited by jashsayani; 03-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    My iPhone
    iPhone 4 (32 GB) Black, Firmware 4.1

    My Mac mini
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

    My MacBook
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.4

    My Blogs:
    Jash's Blog: http://www.jashsayani.com
    The iFone Blog: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com


  6. #6
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jashsayani View Post
    I have already purchased KavaTunes. Only after purchasing it, I asked the question. As KavaTunes does not work. It tells me that I cannot play the file as Localhost/music is not shared.
    did you check here
    Publishing locally


    "...Publishing preferences
    When you publish a catalog, it is saved to the webserver documents folder on your computer. You can choose whether it is saved to the computer website folder (/Library/WebServer/Documents), or your personal website folder (~/Sites)."

    Sounds easy to setup. As far as I understand what you are looking for it should be published in /Library/WebServer/Documents
    So once done you can access it via
    http://mymac.local/KavaTunes/index.php
    or if you dont like the Bonjour name in
    http://your_macs_IP_goes_here/KavaTunes/index.php

    Looks pretty straight forward.

    PHP has to be switched on (in httpd.conf), Websharing has to be enabled aswell.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2

  7. #7
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array jashsayani's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volkspost View Post
    did you check here
    Publishing locally


    "...Publishing preferences
    When you publish a catalog, it is saved to the webserver documents folder on your computer. You can choose whether it is saved to the computer website folder (/Library/WebServer/Documents), or your personal website folder (~/Sites)."

    Sounds easy to setup. As far as I understand what you are looking for it should be published in /Library/WebServer/Documents
    So once done you can access it via
    http://mymac.local/KavaTunes/index.php
    or if you dont like the Bonjour name in
    http://your_macs_IP_goes_here/KavaTunes/index.php

    Looks pretty straight forward.

    PHP has to be switched on (in httpd.conf), Websharing has to be enabled aswell.
    Thanks for the reply.

    I have seen the Publishing locally page. Web Sharing is on (Using it from months). PHP is also enabled.

    http://IP-ADDRESS/KavaTunes/ opens and I can see the library page. It just doesn't play the music.

    It needs /IP-ADDRESS/MUSIC/ folder. Which is in /Users/Jash/Music.

    So I need to get Aliases working or something so that the URL can access the music folder and play files.

    Thats the issue.....
    My iPhone
    iPhone 4 (32 GB) Black, Firmware 4.1

    My Mac mini
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

    My MacBook
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.4

    My Blogs:
    Jash's Blog: http://www.jashsayani.com
    The iFone Blog: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jashsayani View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    It needs /IP-ADDRESS/MUSIC/ folder. Which is in /Users/Jash/Music.

    So I need to get Aliases working or something so that the URL can access the music folder and play files.

    Thats the issue.....
    I dont know but thats what should be done in settings. i can see "mediasources" (dont have an us system handy now, i am at work - someting like this. once enabled it places an alias to the music library into the web directory.
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2

  9. #9
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array jashsayani's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volkspost View Post
    I dont know but thats what should be done in settings. i can see "mediasources" (dont have an us system handy now, i am at work - someting like this. once enabled it places an alias to the music library into the web directory.
    I did not find Media sources... But I found an option called create music folder alias.

    But it created an Alias to iTunes Music NOT Users/Jash/Music. So the apps purchased from iTunes store can be played along with the podcasts. But other music cannot be played as its in /Users/Jash/Music (Outside iTunes folder). So I still have to find a way to create an alias....

    Any ideas on how I can create alias for Users directory, so it can access /Users/Jash/Music from /localhost/users/jash/music ?

    And its should be read-only, so people cannot change my files from the internet. Specially my Documents folder....
    My iPhone
    iPhone 4 (32 GB) Black, Firmware 4.1

    My Mac mini
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

    My MacBook
    2.0 GHz Dual core, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.4

    My Blogs:
    Jash's Blog: http://www.jashsayani.com
    The iFone Blog: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    iPhone Moderator Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jashsayani View Post
    I did not find Media sources... But I found an option called create music folder alias.

    But it created an Alias to iTunes Music NOT Users/Jash/Music. So the apps purchased from iTunes store can be played along with the podcasts. But other music cannot be played as its in /Users/Jash/Music (Outside iTunes folder). So I still have to find a way to create an alias....

    Any ideas on how I can create alias for Users directory, so it can access /Users/Jash/Music from /localhost/users/jash/music ?

    And its should be read-only, so people cannot change my files from the internet. Specially my Documents folder....

    I dont think this will be working. It uses the iTunes library and a lot of its prefs files in there to make the web interface happen.
    Is there a reason why you dont let iTunes manage all your music?
    Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
    If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
    ----------
    iPhone 4 factory unlocked, iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad Wi-Fi + 3G (1G), iOS 4.3.1, jailbroken
    iPad 2


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Internet sharing on 3.0.1?
    By robfig in forum AppleTV 1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM
  2. internet sharing
    By Amet in forum AppleTV 1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
  3. Speaker sharing question.
    By jashsayani in forum Genuine Mac Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
  4. [File Sharing] On/Off?
    By thefalloftroy in forum Genuine Mac Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 06:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48 PM.
twitter, follow us!