[1.1.2 OTB UK][Tutorial] Jailbreak & Bypass Activation
This guide was primarily made for Mac users with UK iPhones, (Running 1.1.2) but will work on other iPhones running 1.1.2.The process itself shouldnt take any longer than fifteen minutes (tops!), this is excluding the time taken to download files etc.. so dont worry. Again, if you see any errors in the guide, or would like to add some comments, or feel that you havent been credited, please find me on IRC.. Here goes:
Step 1 - Downgrade to 1.1.1
1) Download the 1.1.1 ipsw. (Click Here) Make sure it ends in _Restore.ipsw!
2) Make sure your iPhone is switched on. Hold the power button & home button for
10 seconds. Once the 10 seconds are up, let go of the power button
ONLY!!. Do not let go of the home button! (Basically, keep holding the
Your iPhone screen should be blank at this stage. (If there is an iTunes logo &
dock cable on the iPhone screen, you're not in DFU mode, and you need to
repeat the procedure!!)
3) Launch up iTunes. It'll say your iPhone is in restore mode. Press & hold the apple
key + alt key, then click on the restore button. A window will popup, now locate
the downloaded 1.1.1 ipsw file, and press OK.
4) iTunes will now begin restoring your iPhone to 1.1.1, this will take a few minutes
so wait patiently.
5) You will then get an error: 'The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error
occured (1015)' DONT PANIC! This is good lol! It means you've successfully
restored to 1.1.1, proceed to step 6.
6) Download INDependance (Click Here), and load it up. (Make sure iTunes is not running)
A few seconds later, it should kick the iPhone out of restore mode. (The iPhone
should restart here) You can close INDependance now.
Step 2 - Jailbreak 1.1.1:
1) Slide the emergency lock.
2) Dial *#307#
3) Press the back button to clear the number you just dialed, then press 0. Press
4) Press accept call, then press hold, then press deny.
5) You're now in the contact list! Horray lol, keep going.
6) Create a new contact with;
i) The first url: prefs://11
ii) The second url: http://www.jailbreakme.com
7) Make sure to save the contact, then press back. You'll now be back on the
original page. (Slide for emergency)
8) Slide the emergency lock. Press 0, accept call, hold, then finally deny.
9) Select the contact, and choose the first URL. (prefs://11)
10) You should now be taken to the settings page. Go set up a WiFi connection.
11) Once you've done that, press the home button, and you're back to the original
12) Slide the emergency lock, press 0, accept call, hold then finally press deny.
13) Select the contact, now choose the second url. (jailbreakme.com)
14) Hopefully if you had set up your wifi settings correctly, safari should have loaded
up the jailbreakme.com webpage. Scroll down, and select Install AppSnap.
15) Safari should now close automatically! LEAVE YOUR IPHONE! Dont touch
it lol, as it should restart within a minute or so. Once its restarted, you should be
able to view all the usual icons on the iPhone, and you wont get that slide to
emergency lock. (I.e - Successfull jailbreak!!)
16) Now go into Installer, then into 1.1.1 Tweaks, then select & install OctoPrep. This
is very important!! Without this, you wont be able to jailbreak 1.1.2 :) Once
done, proceed to the next step. (Btw, this was the hardest part of the procedure,
the rest is a piece of cake really :P)
Step 3 - Update to 1.1.2:
1) Load up iTunes. Make sure your iPhone is docked / connected to your Mac.
2) iTunes should now say that there's an update available for your iPhone (1.1.2),
and you can update. Press the update button! (DONT PRESS THE RESTORE
3) iTunes will now begin to update your iPhone to 1.1.2, this process takes abit of
time as it involves downloading the 1.1.2 ipsw & updating your iPhone.
4) Once this is done, your iPhone will restart. Proceed to the next step.
Step 4 - Jailbreak 1.1.2:
1) Stick the iPhone in the dock. (if it isnt)
2) Make SURE iTunes is closed & not running.
3) Download the 1.1.2 Jailbreak (Click Here)
4) Go into the 1.1.2 jailbreak folder.
4) Double click on jailbreak.jar
5) A window will popup talking about the 1.1.2 Jailbreak. Tick the Enable SSH box,
and change the SSH password if you want. (Default is alpine)
6) Press the Jailbreak! button.
5) It should start working. Leave it be, there will be a progress bar indicating your
progress. (Wait a while) If you get cannot connect / detect iPhone error, read
the F.A.Q below!!
If it gets stuck whilst at 'reading flash image', make sure auto-lock is set to off /
never. Restart the process again.
6) You should get a message detailing the successfull jailbreak, saying please reboot
your phone now. Reboot the iPhone. (Hold the power button to shut it down,
then press the power button again to start it up again)
7) If everything went well, your iPhone is now activated! Enjoy.
Q) When I try to jailbreak 1.1.2, I keep getting an error telling me to connect my iPhone, but my iPhone is connected!
A) You are not using the latest 1.1.2 Jailbreak. Please update!
Q) Can this tutorial work on German iPhones / US iPhones?
A) Yes it does.
Q) What version of iTunes do I need?
A) You need iTunes 7.4 or higher. I personally used 7.5, so advise everyone to do so.
Q) INDependence is asking for MobileDevice / INDependence is saying I dont have the correct version of iTunes.
A) Read the README.txt file that came with INDependence. It'll tell you how to solve this problem.
Q) My iPhone wont work with <insert name> simcard! Whats going on?!
A) If you can read, this guide does not tell you how to UNLOCK your iPhone. It allows you to jailbreak & pass activation. Therefore, a UK iPhone running 1.1.2 will only work on O2 simcards, a DE iPhone running 1.1.2 will only work on T-Mobile, and so on..
Q) How do I follow this guide on Windows?
A) Credits goto cheesypeas for a quick explanation & guide on what to do if you are using Windows. (Click Here) Thanks bud!
Q) Will this work on iPhones with bootloader version 4.06_M3S2?
A) This method does not tamper with the bootloader, therefore yes it does work. Remember folks, this guide does not allow you to unlock iPhones!
Q) Visual Voicemail doesnt work, whats going on?
A) Unfortunately, if you are not on a iPhone tariff, then Visual Voicemail will not work, as visual voicemail is 'technically' server-side (your network has to enable this for you, and this is obviously on enabled on iPhone tariffs)
Q) Can I get Visual Voicemail to ring the normal voicemail number?
A) This was suggested by pgilder. Open up your iPhone's number keyboard, and type the following:
*5005*86*xxx# (Make sure to replace xxx with your voicemail number. For O2 customers, its 901)
Once you have done that, tap the Call button. The screen will say 'Please wait' for a few seconds, and then it's done. Now the next time you tap
Voicemail on your iPhone, it'll dial up your Voicemail. (This is usefull for those who dont have visual voicemail working) Credits goto pgilder for this!
Q) Why cant I contact you via email or private message (on the forums) ?
A) I'll provide a (very) crude answer to this. People are not reading the guide, and not using their brains to think properly, thus not 'using' the common sense part of their brain. What happens then? I get emails / useless PMs asking me to pretty much spoon-feed them the information. Granted, some emails/PMs I get are genuinely 'unique' problems (or hard ones), and the person has actually put some thought into it. This is a good 2% of everything I get, thus I've discontinued email & PM-based support. If you are really struggling, I'm a regular in the #iPhone IRC channel. (Server: irc.osx86.hu)
Q) I've just jailbreaked 1.1.2, and I am on an iPhone tariff. Edge & Visual Voicemail dont work. What can I do?
A) Okey firstly, please read the following. This solution will only work for O2 iPhone Tariff Customers!! What you need to do is SSH into the iPhone, and issue the following commands:
Credits to rossmck for the solution.
ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/O2_UK.plist /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist
rm -f /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
AppSnap folks - For the 1.1.1 Jailbreak. (Too many to list lool)
ConceitedSoftware - For the 1.1.2 Jailbreak
Donopio - 1.1.2 jb work on activation.
Drudge - Answering the barage of questions from me.
hjst - For the prompt delivery of iTunes :D Thanks bud.
Jamess - For the various link~ages & help throughout this process.
n000b - For the patched lockdownd, thanks!
pgilder - For the awesome support on this thread & multiple additions to the F.A.Q section.
Prodigy60 - From keeping me bored throughout writing this guide, thanks!
PSXGunDown - For pretty much telling me how to do everything & proof-reading this guide! An invaluable asset to this guide :)
roxfan - Same as donopio.. :P
Wiredless - For being the bitch that he is :P
tman - Without you, I would have wasted another trip to Apple Store in Regent Street.
Everyone else I've forgotten to mention. (Probably because I have a vendetta towards you :D)