Discuss Some questions to GERMAN-Iphone-Users at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Hey,
first of all, gratz to be the first in good ol' Germany with an ...
Some questions to GERMAN-Iphone-Users
first of all, gratz to be the first in good ol' Germany with an (unlocked) Iphone. I still have to wait till Octobre, when some friends bring my Iphone from the states.
It'd be nice if you'd answer me these questions:
1. In this thread it's said how to change the interface to german...has anyone tried it out yet and does it work propperly? Is everything translated in german or there still some english bits?
2. Since EDGE isn't covered in Germany (imho E-Plus will start it end of the year) and the Iphone doesn't have UMTS/GPRS, how do you browse through internet? Jusst wiith WLAN?
3. Will there be any differences between the european iphone-version and the american-one?
4. I was worried about the missing T9-SMS function - But I guess you don't need it since you have full QWERTY keyboard?
5. What Provider do you use? Any problems ?
6. How do you like the envious looks of yoiur beloved Mitmenschen?
Greets from Berlin
I am not German but my iPhone now is running on o2 Germany. Concerning the EDGE thing, e-plus and t-mobile have EDGE or will have by the time the iPhone arrives. I don't care about data-on-the-go anyway and don't want to pay for it either. I am quite happy with my current o2 plan/without data and not really excited about a 3G iPhone either. 2.
Since EDGE isn't covered in Germany (imho E-Plus will start it end of the year) and the Iphone doesn't have UMTS/GPRS, how do you browse through internet? Jusst wiith WLAN?
As far as rumors are concerned, there will probably be a 16GB one and with 3G. But as long as Apple didn't say anything, nothing is for sure. 3.
Will there be any differences between the european iphone-version and the american-one?
The iPhone's keyboard and error correction software is fucking awesome. I might be in the minority here but I do like it. 4.
I was worried about the missing T9-SMS function - But I guess you don't need it since you have full QWERTY keyboard?
O2 Germany. Everything works. No problems.
What Provider do you use? Any problems ?
schau dir das an ein schweizer hat das interface aufs deutsche bereits übersetzt
EDGE is another verison of GPRS. you can connect to GPRS with your iPhone. its just slower than EDGE
nobody knows that, only apple. may be, may not be.
no need for T9, but you have a QWERTY, not a QWERTZ keyboard, and some chars are missing, like öäü
i'm from switzerland, i use sunrise, no problem, did the hardware hack.
Originally Posted by Numl0ck
There are still some english bits but not many. You can't use the dictionary though.
T-Mobile offers a pretty good EDGE availability, Vodafone offers EDGE too in some german cities (for example in Berlin).
I also used GPRS in Italy for Internet access, it is very slow but it works fine.
I don't miss T9-SMS.
I'm using Vodafone with my iPhone.
Never had a real problem (using the Turbo SIM) but apparently I had issues receiving SMS in Italy. In Germany no problem.
People are very excited about seeing the iPhone but many of them have much higher expectations and are already used to hightech phones with 3-5 MP cameras and UMTS/HSDPA. They're very impressed with the interface but as soon as I tell them that the iPhone doesn't have UMTS and just a 2 MP camera without video feature, they're pretty disappointed. Not many Germans seem to use the german iTunes shop, so the excitement slows down as soon as the people know what the iPhone can actually do.
It is something new, something "shiny", something people desire.
Regarding the "german" version of the iPhone: rumours indicate a 16 GB version with UMTS/HSDPA. I know that many people think the T-Mobile ad shown on many sites is a fake and it may be. However, I've been told by a source that T-Mobile wasn't willing to market the iPhone with EDGE only and the 16 GB option was to come from Apple anyway sooner or later.
Unfortunately this seems to be the only difference, all the other stuff is the same as on the US iPhone. The iPhone camera sucks, no video, no Bluetooth stereo profile for wireless headphones, etc., I started to use my Nokia E90 again most of the time because it offers more features I need on a daily basis.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by 997TT; 09-13-2007 at 05:43 PM.
1. No tested
2. I am using the iPhone with ePlus. GPRS is the fallback mode if no EDGE is available. And yes: GPRS is f...king slow.
3. At least keyboard and spellchecker
4. No worrys, T9 won´t be missed
c'mon Germans, where are you?
here we are!
and I can say - I've been a little bit faster than you :-P
now coming to your questions:
1. I had no time yet, to test the german language pack - think I will wait till the iPhone selling starts in germany and then there will be no problem to get the original german pack!
2. Don't really know, but on my phone only the WLAN is working
3. Don't really know, too. Heard something about an 16GB coming iPhone, but in my opinion, they will sell the 8GB iPhone either.
4. Till yet, I've not missed the T9, the keyborad is really great!
5. I use o2 Germany, and since yesterday, there was no problem (in/out coming calls, sms in/out) - THANKS AGAIN to the DEV-TEAM !!!
6. no answer ;-)
ich benutze das iphone seit 4 wochen; seit 2 tagen VOLL funktionsfähig! don´t leave home without it :-)
ich habe den dt. tastatur-hack von den schweizern drauf -> funktioniert prima. bin bei t-mobil; super sprachqualität, klingt wie vom festnetz; gprs brauche ich nicht; ich bin eigentlich immer in der nähe von irgendwelchen hotspots zum surfen / mailen.
hatte schon das ein oder andere lustige meeting, das ich durch das iphone äusserst positiv gestalten konnte ;-)
iphone hat in d offenbar noch einen sehr hohen neidfaktor; wenn sich auch der ein oder andere hämische kommentare zum price drop nicht sparen kann... aber ich entgegne immer, dass für mich 500e das ganze dicke wert ist.
Last edited by ttt; 09-13-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Yeah, a German friend of mine mentioned yesterday:
Originally Posted by ttt
"Habe auch schon gehört, dass die Fehlerquote bislang so hoch war, dass sie es schon 200dollar billiger gemacht haben!"
"sämtliche Apple-Fanatiker um mich herum scheinen von absoluter Kritikunfähigkeit heimgesucht"
It's called Neidgesellschaft or society of envy. It's an integral part of the German psyche. Who can blame them?
I've never heard about a so-called "Fehlerquote." This assertion is a product of fertile imagination.
Last edited by Peacer; 09-13-2007 at 08:51 PM.
By FlatFX in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM
By FlatFX in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 02-13-2008, 01:42 AM
By 997TT in forum General
Last Post: 11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
By 997TT in forum General
Last Post: 11-10-2007, 02:39 PM
By ShawnMcS in forum General
Last Post: 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM