Unable to join the network - Please help
I'm sorry to bring up another topic on wlan problems but I've read a lot of threads on various forums and so far none has helped. I'm getting really desperate because I cannot locate the source of my problems.
Last week I got myself a new 1.1.2 UK iPhone and all my attempts on getting wlan to work failed miserabely. My wireless router is a Netgear WGR614 v6.
Things I tried include the following:
* removing all security (no WEP or WPA, no MAC filering)
* disabeling DHCP & entering static IP
* temporarely switching to static IP to enter router info & switching back to DHCP
* updating to most recent firmware on router
* different settings on router (changing channel, wireless modes (b or g), ...)
* resetting network settings, forgetting network, enabling flight mode and/or restarting phone
* renewing DHCP lease
I almost always get the "Unable to join the network" message. However, sometimes the iPhone appears to be connected but when checking the settings its adress is something like 169.254... (apparently a self-assigned IP adress).
After a lot of tries I got it to work one single time though & was able to activate the iPhone via these instructions. I'm stuck at step 2 - 16 since the Installer.app needs wlan, which leaves me with a 1.1.1 iPhone without third-party applications and no fancy native applications (youtube, maps, weather, mail, safari).
My fear is that the unit might be defective but on the other hand it detects all wireless access points and it worked at least once. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,