Bottled it and cancelled order
Ok, I bottled it and decided to cancel my iPhone order just in time.
As a UK intended user, I've decided that I'd rather have a proper contract with whoever Apple signs up with in the UK.
1. I know a lot of US people are not happy with the AT&T tie-in, but after watching the keynote many months ago, I think the reason they did this was so they could make sure the service provider was capable of offering the full suite of applications the iPhone comes with, rather than dilute the phones abilities (which might happen if users were able to go with different companies via an unlocked device).
2. I also think with USA phone, if an unlock hack comes to fruition, functions are still going to be crippled or possibly have sporadic functionality, especially through itunes synchronisation and updates.
3. There is still uncertainty about the UK's spec and I would seriously be gutted if I was stuck with a hacked USA phone and the UK phone launched with better Bluetooth capabilities and crucially (with the lack of EDGE in the UK), if 3G was incorporated. As i've said before, Push Email, Internet & U-Tube etc are going to be aweful in the UK if the phone has to fall back to GPRS as the US one would have to!
Soz about the pessimism, but I've had a few tiring days/nights following the iphone-dev teams progression on the IRC channel and whilst I think they've done and are doing a great job (opening up the file system and writing the tools etc), my extensive desire for the phone has ever-so slightly wavered to the point where-by I am prepared to wait a couple of months. This is the first time this has happened to me, I'm normally quite happy with the gambles and cost for being there at the beginning.
Good luck to all those still involved with the development tools and my fellow UK companions still waiting on the dream!!
Its a sad picture and took a lot of will power!!!