Results 1 to 7 of 7
Discuss Is it possible? iPhone as a bluetooth modem? at the General - Hackint0sh.org; My biggest disappointment with my iPhone was realizing that I wont be able to use ...
  1. #1
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Is it possible? iPhone as a bluetooth modem?

    My biggest disappointment with my iPhone was realizing that I wont be able to use it as a bluetooth modem with my macbook when I'm away from home.

    So does anyone no if a future firmware update will unlock the limited usage of the iPhone's bluetooth capabilities?
    MacBook Santa Rosa OSX 10.5.4
    iPhone2G(week 46)



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array tupactim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well i asked a simmilar question HERE if i could use my iphone as a wifi reciver if i forgot my adapter and well if you read the posts you will see the reaction i got!
    Last edited by tupactim; 01-02-2008 at 09:15 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Re: Title question: Yes, it is possible, should be "just" a software (driver) question (at least I strongly doubt that a manufacturer would pay extra for crippled non-standard hardware to built into his phones just to limit them, when software would do).
    Re: Post question: No, no one except Apple might know whether such an update is even planed.

    Sure, it would be nice, and with the official SDK, the reason that there's no need for more Bluetooth profiles is a bit decreased, but still... except what the marketing people deem useful, not what you or me or other users see as useful to come in future updates

  4. #4
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tupactim View Post
    Well i asked a simmilar question HERE if i could use my iphone as a wifi reciver if i forgot my adapter and well if you read the post you will see the reaction i got!
    LOL

    I see what you mean, that threads hilarious, but I'm speaking about bluetooth specifically.
    MacBook Santa Rosa OSX 10.5.4
    iPhone2G(week 46)

  5. #5
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CCRDude View Post
    Re: Title question: Yes, it is possible, should be "just" a software (driver) question (at least I strongly doubt that a manufacturer would pay extra for crippled non-standard hardware to built into his phones just to limit them, when software would do).
    Re: Post question: No, no one except Apple might know whether such an update is even planed.

    Sure, it would be nice, and with the official SDK, the reason that there's no need for more Bluetooth profiles is a bit decreased, but still... except what the marketing people deem useful, not what you or me or other users see as useful to come in future updates
    Thanks, I suspected that much, oh well
    MacBook Santa Rosa OSX 10.5.4
    iPhone2G(week 46)


  6. #6
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Not BT, but still wireless.

    It's not bluetooth, but it is wireless, so you shouldn't notice a difference--speed isn't great, but I've used this frequently when out of WiFi range. It's a bit tricky to install, but it works pretty flawlessly.

    http://nsgn.net/better_iphone_tethering/overview.htm

    send me an email at deadesq AT deadesq DOT com if you have any questions.

  7. #7
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadesq View Post
    It's not bluetooth, but it is wireless, so you shouldn't notice a difference--speed isn't great, but I've used this frequently when out of WiFi range. It's a bit tricky to install, but it works pretty flawlessly.

    http://nsgn.net/better_iphone_tethering/overview.htm

    send me an email at deadesq AT deadesq DOT com if you have any questions.
    Thanks, I found this tutorial which also works.
    http://lifehacker.com/software/featu...top-327066.php

    Thing is I would like to have my wifi port open and not occupied by the iphone, that's why I would prefer bluetooth.
    MacBook Santa Rosa OSX 10.5.4
    iPhone2G(week 46)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. No WIFI, No IMEI, No Bluetooth & No Modem firmware
    By mahen204 in forum iPhone 3GS
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
  2. iPhone 3G Baseband Problem. No WiFi/IMEI/Bluetooth/ICCID/Modem Firmware
    By melodosgr in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
  3. No wifi, bluetooth, imei and modem firmware
    By c.a.r.n.e.s in forum iPhone 3G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
  4. Iphone as Wireless Modem (USB or Bluetooth)
    By teekay in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
  5. Wireless Modem (via USB or Bluetooth)
    By teekay in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:46 PM.
twitter, follow us!