Discuss iphone using itself?!! at the General - Hackint0sh.org; I recently upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 (virginize -> jailbreakme.com -> AnySIM 1.1)....then I promptly ...
iphone using itself?!!
I recently upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 (virginize -> jailbreakme.com -> AnySIM 1.1)....then I promptly installed a bunch of apps thru the installer (like summerboard, customize, open SSH, BSD subsystem, SMS fix, terminal, mobile finder, kb2, lyrics, mines, lights off, iblackjack, iphysics, music quiz, tetrominos, ScummVM, GB Emulator, NES, field test, Make it Mine, stumbler, services etc.....)....
Then I noticed the battery life had suffered dramatically. With 1.0.2, my iphone battery easily lasted a couple of days...now it barely lasted a day....
One thing I notice is that the usage counter in the settings menu keeps increasing even when the iphone is sleeping. Like one night, I charged the phone fully, then had a long phone call (via the headphones handsfree), and wifi, bluetooth and SSH were off during this time. After the phone call, both the standby time and usage time read 1 hour 29 minutes. Then I put the phone and myself to sleep. When I woke up in the morning (about 6 hours later), the usage counter read 2 hours 58 minutes (almost 3 hours!)!!!
Last evening, I got really irritated and uninstalled all the apps (except installer.app, BSD subsystem, terminal, services, lyrics, ulctl and field test) from the installer.
Then I put the phone on charging for 20 odd minutes (I was heading out somewhere). The battery was at the 20% mark at that point. The battery meter did some crazy swinging up and down...and finally when I disconnected the phone, it read a little less than half.
I came back home after about 4 hours, and the battery was at the same level. I had done about 10 minutes of SMSing, clicked about 10 pics, and a phone call of about 20 minutes while I was out. Then I plugged in the phone, and had another call (via the headphone handsfree) for about half an hour. Then the phone charged thru the night.
The battery life does seem to have improved, the battery was at 100% in the morning (about 9 hours ago) and now it's gone down a couple of notches.
I haven't used the phone at all since the morning (just a couple of very very short calls), it's just been lying there sleeping. But the usage counter now reads 4h10mins, and the standby counter reads 9h30mins.
What the hell is going on with this phone?? Any suggestions/solutions welcome!
Did you set the auto lock to never?
You need a better SSH.
DropBear and some incomplete version of SSH still run even after you turn them off with Service.
Use installer to install and then uninstall OpenSSH, and if you still want it, install it again. It might wipe out the earlier versions if you are lucky.
My advice is to upgrade to 1.1.2 and jailbreak+unlock with OKtoprep and anysim 1.2.1u, since it's very easy nowadays.
No, usually I set autolock to 1 min.
Originally Posted by NotFound
I never installed dropbear, neither did I use anything that installs dropbear. The dropbear service is not present in the ulctl listing either.
I installed openssh from installer, and have now uninstalled it.
Can someone please monitor their phone and see if the usage time remains (almost) constant, or does it keep on increasing??
I thought the Usage = Standby + Active times...on mine, if I leave it on standby, it will say something like "Usage 40 min" and "Standby 40 min".
Not really.... If that were the case then usage time would always be greater than the standby time... But that's not the case (not with me atleast)!!!
Originally Posted by Godores
But are you sure that if you leave the iphone on standby then the usage time goes up as well???
My iphone usage numbers vary wildly. It is a stock, unjailbroken, virgin unit (1.1.1fw). I might use it 4 hours per week. I have a record of every time it has been charged. Here is the data. All my phone usage is fairly regular, but it has reported anywhere from 1.5 to 57 hours of usage between charges. Also, the battery drained fast and hard right after doing the 1.1.1 fw upgrade.
I do use an FM radio dongle on the dock port a couple hours a week. I think the phone may not be detecting when the dongle is unplugged. Also, I have also seen it show usage time in the morning after an overnight charge. Other people seem to think along similar lines about the phone continuing to rack up usage time after being undocked from a dock.
BTW, the GSM phone usually spends about 1 minute/hour doing handshakes with the phone towers. This can show up as around 30 minutes of "usage" a day.
Date Usage Standby Time Sent Rcvd Comments
20 Jul 07 5:53 6d1h 9/9 1.9 16.3 <10% 9h16m
25 Jul 07 20:17 4d20h 9/9 2.8 24.1 5% 8h45m
01 Aug 07 11:15 4d6h 0/9 57 5.7 20% 0h0m
07 Aug 07 11:29 5d19h 0/9 .69 6.0 10% 0h0m
10 Aug 07 5:23 1d13h 0/9 1.3 16.4 0% 0h0m
15 Aug 07 16:35 5d9h 4/13 1.1 8.0 15% 0h0m
22 Aug 07 5:03 5d22h 2/15 1.3 9.0 20% 0h0m
27 Aug 07 10:22 5d16h 0/15 1.3 10.4 10% 0h0m
02 Sep 07 4:07 5d14h 5/20 .92 11.2 20%
09 Sep 07 26:08 6d1h 6/26 .50 4.3 20%+
13 Sep 07 2:37 5d0h 1:6/1:32 .42 3.4 20%+
21 Sep 07 21:03 6d15h 28/2:00 .54 7.7 20% nfc
29 Sep 07 57:40 6d17h 20/2:20 .35 .93 20%+
06 Oct 07 38:22 7d3h 2/2:22 .03 .18 20%+
14 Oct 07 21:25 8d3h 4/2:26 .10 .51 20%
23 Oct 07 1:38 8d20h 20/2:46 .02 .27 5%
01 Nov 07 1:39 8d4h 31/3:17 .21 1.5 20%
08 Nov 07 7:52 6d11h 29/3:46 .15 1.4 20%
16 Nov 07 --- -- 39/4:25 .55 6.4 10% (1.1.1fw)
20 Nov 07 2:13 3d23h 11/4:36 .00 0.0 0%
27 Nov 07 24:00 6d6h 10/4:46 .09 .59 30% (1hr USB)
02 Dec 07 14:22 5d10h 31/5:17 .14 1.7 30%
08 Dec 07 4:54 5d5h 57/6:14 .35 2.9 30%
For me last night, usage = standy on multiple occasions. But I know that certain programs mess with this (e.g. Installer), so maybe it's not doing what it should on mine.
So I upgraded to 1.1.2 last night. And all seems ok as of now... Atleast the usage time isn't going up randomly while the phone is asleep!
Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!