Discuss I can't get to work a tethered jailbreak of iPhone 3GS, 3.1.3, new bootrom ? at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Hi,
my friend has an iPhone 3GS, new bootrom, running 3.1.3. We bought it like ...
I can't get to work a tethered jailbreak of iPhone 3GS, 3.1.3, new bootrom ?
my friend has an iPhone 3GS, new bootrom, running 3.1.3. We bought it like that on eBay. It wasn't not jailbroken already and we don't have SHSH blobs. We want to jailbreak it. I understand that it must be a tethered jailbreak since it has a new bootrom, and that's ok. Once I jailbreak it, I will use ultrasn0w to unlock it.
* When I run Spirit, I get error code 1. Not sure what it's all about, but maybe we are not compliant with one of the requirements of Spirit: the phone has to be activated. I'm not sure if it is or not. He already put a new overseas SIM card in it, the phone boots and we can see springboard. It doesn't have any "emergency calls only" or "connect to iTunes" messages. If we connect it to iTunes (we have iTunes 9.1.1), it detects it, and we get a normal screen where you can sync the iphone. So I think this means that the phone is activated. Does anyone know why Spirit doesn't work?
* So then I tried redsn0w 0.9.4 and pointed it to a 3GS-3.1.2 IPSW. First couple of times I didn't know yet that he had a new bootrom, so I clicked "no" thinking it was an old bootrom. redsn0w did some stuff and then got to the "finish" button. The phone had a black screen and after 5 minutes nothing happened. So then I unplugged and was able to turn it on, and it was back to springboard running 3.1.3. So basically nothing happened.
* Then I figured out (using the proper method) that he had a new bootrom. So the third time running redsn0w, I clicked on "yes", confirming that it has a new bootrom. This should do a tethered jailbreak and we are ok with that. But we got the same result, it finished, the phone shows black screen, and after 5 minutes nothing new happens. So I unplug the phone, turn it on, and it's back to springboard still running 3.1.3. Does anyone know why a tethered redsn0w jailbreak isn't working?
* So then I thought maybe something got screwed up on the phone because I clicked that "no" button in redsn0w two times. So I figured maybe I should do a complete restore of 3.1.2 through iTunes before running redsn0w. Well, iTunes complains that it doesn't want to put 3.1.2 on a 3.1.3 phone. I believe that has to do with the new 3.1.3 "signed" images. So I think it's impossible to downgrade back to 3.1.2 unless we had those SHSH blobs, which we don't. Ok, fine.
* So then I thought maybe we should restore to 3.1.3 through iTunes. Well, this is where we stopped as my friend had to go to bed (he's overseas with this iphone)... we'll try this tomorrow. By the way, I think when I got iPhone from eBay, it didn't have a SIM card, but it must have been activated already, otherwise I would have gotten the "emergency calls only" or a "connect to itunes message". Does anyone know if we need an AT&T SIM card to do a full restore through iTunes to 3.1.3?
* We can't use PwnageTool as my friend doesn't have a Mac, he only has a Windows Vista PC. I also believe that we can't use Sn0wbreeze, because we are not on 3.1.2, and we don't have SHSH blobs.
Any tips? Any ideas why Spirit didn't work? Any ideas why tethered redsn0w isn't working? Any other recommendations? I have this bad feeling that we are stuck now to wait for some future not-yet-released jailbreak.
Spirit should have worked. Try removing and reinstalling iTunes Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7
Be sure to use iTunes 9.1 or 9.1.1 or 9.1.2 - you can find download links for older versions of iTunes here iTunes - The iPhone Wiki
Do not use iTunes 9.2 or 9.2.1
New bootrom 3GS are not supported on Pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze at all. Don't try this.
Redsn0w does not support 3GS running iOS 3.1.3 or higher. That is why it just fails.
Please read the stickies & search forum before posting! How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter
Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!
By NammyRawrs in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
By Ethan021 in forum iOS 4.x (iPhone OS 4.x)
Last Post: 05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
By Siren2010 in forum iOS 3.x (iPhone OS 3.x)
Last Post: 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
By Lostology in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
Last Post: 01-03-2010, 08:36 AM
By nycmetz86 in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 12-20-2009, 05:04 PM