Originally Posted by Kimbie
- Use DiskAid to backup the sms.db.
- Jailbreak the iPhone with the version you want (2.2.1).
- Using Cydia, install OpenSSH server.
- Connect the SSH server via WiFi, using the user: mobile Password: alpine
- Locate empty sms.db on the newly restored iPhone (after the jailbreak).
If you can't find it, send an SMS and it will create it.
- Write down the current sms.db permissions on the iPhone.
- Now replace the empty sms.db with the backup.
- Set the permissions.
- Reboot the iPhone.
And you're done.
I suggest you read more about jailbreak before you attempt it.
From what you wrote it sounds like you have no idea what is the jailbreak process.
Restore erases everything.