Discuss Hebrew Localization of the iPhone at the General - Hackint0sh.org; 1. The OS X localization scheme works to some extent for the iPhone for Hebrew
Hebrew Localization of the iPhone
1. The OS X localization scheme works to some extent for the iPhone for Hebrew
I edited the file: /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
What I did was to add a new pair in AppleLanguages with string "he" (Hebrew)
then I changed the order to "he" was item "0" in order, i.e. first
2. Any app can be localized by creating an he.lproj directory in the App Dir - parallel to English.lproj for example /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/he.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings
I copied the strings files from 2 Apps, SpringBoard and MobileMail, changed some strings - typing in the strings file using Hebrew on the mac
I then put these files back to their respective he.lproj directories
3. I copied in a modified arialuni.ttf to /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/arialuni.ttf
4. Power cycle the iPhone (4-5 secs on power button).
Now the systems default language is "he" using he.lproj directories when found and English.lproj when not
5. Problems - all the apps I saw , reverse the Hebrew - so it displays backwards - I made a mistake earlier, thinking that I could display the app names on SpringBoad correctly, but I was using a LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file where I typed in Camera (מצלמה) in Hebrew in the reverse order (המלצמ), so when the iPhone displayed it it would read correctly.
Below is an screenshot of the SpringBoard, with both reversed and double-reveresed Hebrew app titles
6. MobileMail still displays Hebrew correctly, when you modify Helvetica.ttf , adding Hebrew. This works when you display the full screen email, but when you have the list of emails in the Inbox, Hebrew is reversed
What all this points to, IMHO, is that many if not all the issues are due to lack of RTL handling in the apps themselves, which may have to wait for Apple to correct...
Attached below are 3 images, first the SpringBoard/SummerBoard with reverse and double-reversed Hebrew, then the MobileMail app, with the "Accounts" label changed to "מה זה" in Hebrew - which is reversed by the App. Finally a test email - fullscreen with a modded version of Helvetica.ttf
There is a chance also, that the App Localization allows directionality option - but I don't know it.
SpringBoard with Hebrew Localizations (reversed and double reversed):
MobileMail localizations (reversed)
Sample Hebrew email:
Thanks for help from Tomer at http://djteller.blogspot.com/
hi, can you send me the file for the hebrew support in safari and mails?
hebrew mails should show fine except for the font since they are html's.. (no rtl issue there)
please send me the files
please send me the files (helvetica and arial fonts) aswell for hebrew support in sms and mail
How can I find and install Farsi keyboard for sending Farsi SMS and recieving the same?
hey you guys
all your problems can be solved from
they have all files and fonts needed for the hebrew support.
I live in Germany and have my phone in english as default, but have installed the hebrew font for sms/email/safari and it is fine now when i need it.
my 2 cents..
idk what this is but props to the hebrews!
also theres a hebrew repository on instaler although i forget the url... i DLd the hebrew keyboard although its really just a modded russian one, still amazingly cool...
just wanted to put in MY 2 cents
"It [the earth] still moves"
How you modified????
Originally Posted by marcr
Could you please tell me which program you used to rewrite strings? How you modified it?
You can try this localization tool: https://poeditor.com/ to translate an iPhone app in Hebrew.
By unlaced in forum PwnageTool
Last Post: 08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
By BiOsS in forum Free Toolchain Software (Cydia App's)
Last Post: 04-16-2008, 03:35 AM
By kukurikoo in forum General
Last Post: 04-16-2008, 12:15 AM
By Verbat in forum General
Last Post: 10-11-2007, 06:08 AM
By royial in forum General
Last Post: 09-15-2007, 12:10 PM