Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Discuss Firmware Version 1.1.3 should be coming soon at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by Stretch You have read Sassha's reply, haven't you? If we do not ...
  1. #11
    Senior Professional Array dragon-tmd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    You have read Sassha's reply, haven't you? If we do not receive a baseband upgrade this will not provide us with an unlock. In this case I would even consider it quite unlikely that they also include a BB upgrade since that is not required to solve the main problem.
    That's the point. A BB update is NOT necessary. They'll just fix the problem without updating the BB. If you install "iWorld" by installer.app it will do the trick right now.

    Plus the fact, taht you can use the unlocked iPhone on any network in that specific country. Means it will work in france, germany, uk on their networks. Apple surely does not help you, getting an imported iPhone to work!


  2. #12
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragon-tmd View Post
    Plus the fact, taht you can use the unlocked iPhone on any network in that specific country. Means it will work in france, germany, uk on their networks. Apple surely does not help you, getting an imported iPhone to work!
    Exactly! Finally someone agrees with me. This is what I was saying...

  3. #13
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I wonder how long it will be until Apple are advising these guys with crashing iphones to jailbreak it and install iWorld.??


  4. #14
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilx1 View Post
    Says... me. It's my point of view.

    I agree that an unlocked phone should work on any network. However, the forced T-Mobile unlock in Germany and the legally obligated unlock by Orange in France are, in my opinion, country specific - otherwise the UK and all other EU territories would have to follow suit and the 'country specific' network selection (UK - 02 / France - Orange / Germany - T-Mobile) would mean nothing to both the network and Apple.

    As I understand it, having read a lot of the legal press recently (like yourself I am sure) regarding the iPhone in France - the Orange FR iPhone unlock and the French unlock law in general is designed to offer French nationals (residents) the legal right not to be bound to one 'exclusive' network with any one particular handset (i.e. creating a monopoly). This law is not the same in many surrounding countries and I do not suppose the French government cares very much. The French law seems to me to be country specific and is not EU legislation effecting many others... that said (again in my opinion) the Apple / Network 'country specific' unlock works with all networks within it's country of origin not with just any network from any neighbouring country. This is why some features / functions do not work VVM for example or this iWorld issue.

    I am not saying that I think an Orange FR unlocked iPhone will not work when on Orange CH in Switzerland - to be honest, I have no idea. All I am saying is that all features / functions might not work and why would either Apple or the exclusive national network care enough to release a new FW to address the issue(?)

    THIS IS MY POINT OF VIEW nothing more and I do / would not claim anything else... unlike many others...
    My point of view is different:
    I bought a iPhone with t-moble contract under the verbal condition that it will work with foreign carriers as well because I'm staying (50%) of my time in other countries (EU and others) with local sim-cards. The phone is legaly unlocked and accepts non German sims.
    Roaming works with Swisscom -> Vodafon, Sunrise -> O2 but the keyboard crashes. iWorld should solve the problem.
    I complained with T-mobile, they passed my complain to Apple and I should have a reply tomorrow. I think Apple has not to bring out a new FW, they only have to deliver a patch via iTunes similar to iWorld.

  5. #15
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebda View Post
    My point of view is different:
    I bought a iPhone with t-moble contract under the verbal condition that it will work with foreign carriers as well because I'm staying (50%) of my time in other countries (EU and others) with local sim-cards. The phone is legaly unlocked and accepts non German sims.
    Roaming works with Swisscom -> Vodafon, Sunrise -> O2 but the keyboard crashes. iWorld should solve the problem.
    I complained with T-mobile, they passed my complain to Apple and I should have a reply tomorrow. I think Apple has not to bring out a new FW, they only have to deliver a patch via iTunes similar to iWorld.
    We are roughly saying the same thing. As I mentioned, I don't think that an officially unlocked phone will not work with other networks (I am sure it does). I just think that Apple will not release 1.1.3 due to that iWorld type issue alone. As was originally implied at the start of this thread. A patch as you say, maybe, just not a new FW.
    Last edited by jimwilx1; 12-03-2007 at 11:26 AM.


  6. #16
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilx1 View Post
    We are roughly saying the same thing. As I mentioned, I don't think that an officially unlocked phone will not work with other networks (I am sure it does). I just think that Apple will not release 1.1.3 due to that iWorld type issue alone. As was originally implied at the start of this thread. A patch as you say, maybe, just not a new FW.
    I got an answer from t-mobile: sim unlock does not mean that the iphone works with any carrier in the world. it means only that the sim-unlock of a German iPhone works with German Sims! And because it works with German carriers T-mobile is not willing to take it back!

  7. #17
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebda View Post
    I got an answer from t-mobile: sim unlock does not mean that the iphone works with any carrier in the world. it means only that the sim-unlock of a German iPhone works with German Sims! And because it works with German carriers T-mobile is not willing to take it back!
    For what it is worth - So my 'point of view' was right, according to your T-Mob conversation. The unlock is country specific and therefore Apple has met it's legal objective and one can assume unlikely to release a new 1.1.3 FW to address the issue first raised by CU3BALL. As I have already posted (sorry for two lots of the same information) - I spoke to Apple FR and they told me you need to have a French iTunes account to activate the official Orange FR unlock... again country specific.

  8. #18
    Amazingly Knowledgeable Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shahryz View Post
    Well, not exactly illegaly "purchased", but sold illegaly.
    iPhone = heroin in this case.

  9. #19
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilx1 View Post
    For what it is worth - So my 'point of view' was right, according to your T-Mob conversation. The unlock is country specific and therefore Apple has met it's legal objective and one can assume unlikely to release a new 1.1.3 FW to address the issue first raised by CU3BALL. As I have already posted (sorry for two lots of the same information) - I spoke to Apple FR and they told me you need to have a French iTunes account to activate the official Orange FR unlock... again country specific.
    There are commercial obligations to sell merchandise fit for purpose. I have an Orange France SIM and an iphone. I spend 90% of my time outside of France. The consumer expectation in purchasing a GSM phone is that it would work with ANY GSM network.

    Apple France might want to believe different, but frankly if my soon to be unlocked iphone does not take a german Vodafone SIM, I will return the iPhone and complain to the regulators about this.

  10. #20
    Senior Professional Array slimnickyy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbr View Post
    There are commercial obligations to sell merchandise fit for purpose. I have an Orange France SIM and an iphone. I spend 90% of my time outside of France. The consumer expectation in purchasing a GSM phone is that it would work with ANY GSM network.

    Apple France might want to believe different, but frankly if my soon to be unlocked iphone does not take a german Vodafone SIM, I will return the iPhone and complain to the regulators about this.
    Being that the iphone's firmware is already set to work in Germany using the Voda SIM should be okay (the phone will dial numbers and SMS without crashing). It's when you go to countries not entered into the AppSupport file that you get issues from what I've understood unless I'm wrong?

    Either way I suggest anyone affected by this who is unhappy to contact the EU Commission to complain. Enough complaints will prompt a inquiry into the issue by them. Also consider your countries regulators (the communications regulator and possibly any competition regulators you may have). In the UK it'd be the OFT and Ofcom, but I'm unsure of what they're called in FR and DE.
    Last edited by slimnickyy; 12-06-2007 at 12:57 AM.


 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Coin Push Pro - iBear Story, the pro version's coming!!!!!
    By onekay in forum AppStore Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 08:08 AM
  3. [Geo-tagging] coming on 2.0 Firmware
    By Twisty iphoney in forum Free Toolchain Software (Cydia App's)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 05:58 AM
  4. How to know the firmware version?
    By ccfm in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:13 PM.
twitter, follow us!