Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Discuss Chinese users, Youtube deliberately block videos in China. at the General - Hackint0sh.org; I have been trying to figure out why the hell Youtube is working on iPhone ...
  1. #1
    Former Bender
    Guest

    Angry Chinese users, Youtube deliberately block videos in China.

    I have been trying to figure out why the hell Youtube is working on iPhone and iPod touch when used in Hong Kong and not in China (mainland).

    Last month, Youtube has been banned from China from October 17th to around November 1st.
    So it was not accessible in the mainland and trying to access Youtube from any computer led to an infinite "time out" or a "can't connect to youtube" for iPhone-iTouch.

    The only way to access Youtube was by using a proxy server.

    Since around the 1st of November 2007, Youtube is back on tracks, probably after several negociations.

    When i say it is back, i mean only for the Website/Flash browser version.

    Actually, if you try to access it using the Youtube application in the iPhone-iTouch it will only let you browse preview's pictures list and video descriptions.
    So when you select a video, it says "Error playing movie" after 2~3 seconds.

    It is not the real error message, Youtube should have told the user the truth as they have prevented them from seeing videos for any crappy reason...

    I've been reported by several iPhone-iTouch users from Hong Kong and Taiwan, that they receive this "Error playing movie" message only when they are using Youtube in China (mainland).

    After TCPdumping and checking logs, it appears that it is not blocked by chinese ISPs, but Youtube itself.

    Why does Youtube prevent iPhone-iTouch users to watch the same videos they can see on a laptop computer with a WIFI connection ?

    Should we complain to Apple for selling a device with an application from a partnership with Youtube that is not working because of their strange policy ?

    Now, the point is, we can't complain as long as the iPhone is not yet officially available in China.
    Ok guys, so how about the iPod touch that is officially available in China ?

    http://www.apple.com.cn/ipodtouch/fe...eature=youtube

    It is provided with the Youtube app that is useless, and we certainly pay for.

    The worst thing is that you can't write Chinese with it, i mean out of the box. (thanks to NativeCN and iCosta devs).
    What do you guys think if Apple was a Chinese corporation selling iPod touch in USA without any American-English input ?



  2. #2
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    dig dig dig
    ya, when I was using iphone in China, these things really happened!
    So unbelievable that Apple issued such a strange and discriminatory policy!

  3. #3
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XianLi View Post
    ,,,,

    After TCPdumping and checking logs, it appears that it is not blocked by chinese ISPs, but Youtube itself.

    ......
    The worst thing is that you can't write Chinese with it, i mean out of the box. (thanks to NativeCN and iCosta devs).
    What do you guys think if Apple was a Chinese corporation selling iPod touch in USA without any American-English input ?

    Youtube has in principle no commercial interest to block its content anywhere. If Youtube is blocked then this is in one way or another a result of China being a totalitarian slave state.

    What Chinese may think or not think is largely irrelevant as the Chinese government has decided that the Chinese population should supply cheap products to the world so that the Chinese state accumulates plenty of hard cash and becomes powerful - the Chinese population is not supposed to own or use most of the things it produces.

    You may direct further inquiries to:

    Central Commitee
    Communist Party of China

  4. #4
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geejay101 View Post
    Youtube has in principle no commercial interest to block its content anywhere. If Youtube is blocked then this is in one way or another a result of China being a totalitarian slave state.

    What Chinese may think or not think is largely irrelevant as the Chinese government has decided that the Chinese population should supply cheap products to the world so that the Chinese state accumulates plenty of hard cash and becomes powerful - the Chinese population is not supposed to own or use most of the things it produces.

    You may direct further inquiries to:

    Central Commitee
    Communist Party of China
    Are you working for Youtube? Are these words the official attitude of Youtube?

    And, do you know what is tcpdump?

  5. #5
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinxue View Post
    Are you working for Youtube? Are these words the official attitude of Youtube?

    And, do you know what is tcpdump?
    Yes, I am aware of tcpdump. Also I would question whether one can reliably detect with an IP protocol dump whether Youtube is indeed the culprit as the Chinese proxies might alter the protocol in realtime.

    In any case, I cant see any reason why YouTube should do any such thing unless it is pressured by the Chinese government. If Youtube does so then it is of course deplorable.

    However the basic point stays: YourChineseGovernment sucks.
    Last edited by geejay101; 11-07-2007 at 06:23 AM.


  6. #6
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geejay101 View Post
    Yes, I am aware of tcpdump. Also I would question whether one can reliably detect with an IP protocol dump whether Youtube is indeed the culprit as the Chinese proxies might alter the protocol in realtime.

    In any case, I cant see any reason why YouTube should do any such thing unless it is pressured by the Chinese government. If Youtube does so then it is of course deplorable.

    However the basic point stays: YourChina sucks.
    Wow, did my China have ever beaten you, sucks guy?

  7. #7
    Former Bender
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geejay101 View Post
    the Chinese population is not supposed to own or use most of the things it produces.
    Quote Originally Posted by XianLi View Post
    Now, the point is, we can't complain as long as the iPhone is not yet officially available in China.
    Ok guys, so how about the iPod touch that is officially available in China ?
    I don't think you entirely read my post. Try again.

    Now if you know what tcpdumping and proxying are, you can give a try yourself by using a chinese proxy (anonymous otherwise Youtube will see that you're not in China) with an iPhone-iTouch.

    I'm not trying to defend the Internet Policy in China, people are aware of it, but i can't see any reason why they would block Youtube only on iPhone-iTouch.

    Like i said i my previous post...

    Quote Originally Posted by XianLi View Post
    Since around the 1st of November 2007, Youtube is back on tracks, probably after several negociations.
    Now if you wan't to access the content the iPhone-iTouch is blocked for, with any browser, just go to this URL http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/videos/ and check for yourself.

    Now try this url in Safari in iPhone-iTouch and you'll get your answer
    Last edited by Former Bender; 11-06-2007 at 08:07 AM.

  8. #8
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geejay101 View Post
    However the basic point stays: YourChina sucks.
    OMG that is racismt!!!

  9. #9
    Former Bender
    Guest

    Default

    Damn i haven't seen the message while answering.

    That's just sad to see such people today...

  10. #10
    Former Bender
    Guest

    Default

    After checking the http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/videos/ url, it appears that the Youtube application is a Custom RSS viewer integrating a video player.

    You can view the same content with Mobile RSS by using the same url.
    When opening a link inside Mobile RSS will launch Youtube video Player.

    I'm now investigating on any possibilities to bypass the stupid Youtube blocking rule.


 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lagging youtube videos and all online videos
    By phuchhe1 in forum Using Snow Leopard
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
  3. MacNN: Apple, China Mobile forging deal, says Chinese news
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
  4. AppleInsider: Apple investigating iTunes block in China
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 08:10 PM
  5. MacNN: Chinese search engine snags Apple China head
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 01:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:33 PM.
twitter, follow us!