Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Discuss [Bootloader] 3.9 vs 4.6 > is there a difference to me ? at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Hi. I'm probably posting in the wrong section for all I know, but my bootloader ...
  1. #1
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default [Bootloader] 3.9 vs 4.6 > is there a difference to me ?

    Hi. I'm probably posting in the wrong section for all I know, but my bootloader is 3.9 and I think it should be 4.6. Is there any real difference to me - the casual non technogeek, geek? The phone works fine in all aspects so the obvious answer seems to be there is no difference, but still I wonder.

    any response would be cool.

    My modem firmware is 04.04.05_G

    Budsalinger



  2. #2
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    why do you think it should be a 4.6?
    FWIW, OTB phones with 1.1.2 fw and up has 4.6 BL.

    To me BL version does not matter. Some says 4.6 BL has better battery life. Mine is an original 4.6 BL downgraded to 3.9FB and the battery is fine.

    If the phone is originally 4.6, you need to make sure it is 4.6 if you need to return to apple for warranty/repair purposes.

  3. #3
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    unfortunately I don't know what the original firmware is. I got the phone unlocked and the person I got it from may have updated it. I've read that my serial number should indicate when it was made but I really cannot make sense of it. Maybe you or someone can tell me.

    My serial number is 88815xxxx. Does this mean 15th week of 2008? If so, shouldn't my firmware OTB be 1.1.4? and if this is so, shouldn't my BL be 4.6?
    Last edited by Former Bender; 06-22-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Serial removed
    Budsalinger is one

  4. #4
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    i have a 16gb iphone so im guessing it was a 1.1.2 OTB but in bbinfo it says i have a 3.9 bl?

  5. #5
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    i can't show you any proof other than other threads here comfirming that the 4.6 bootloader makes HUGE difference in your battery life. honestly speaking it doesnt make any sense to me since supposedly the bootloader is only used for start up (according to what i have read) but yeah update the damn thing it wont cost you a penny and the extra battery time will do you good.


  6. #6
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    @budsalinger,
    That serial number tells me it's a iphone with 4.6 BL. OTB fw should be 1.1.3 and up. Sorry I don't keep up with serial number convention anymore.

    @point_01,
    16 GB iphone OTB should be 1.1.3 or higher. BBinfo tells you it's 3.9 but the critical piece of info which is not shown is if it is FB or not. If FB is not there, it was probably been through ziphone. If it FB is there, then it's been through iplus/iLiberty+ or pwnage.

    The quick way to check if it is 3.9FB or not is to use bootneuter. It will tell you.

    If your phone had been through ziphone then you are playing russian roulette with that phone.

  7. #7
    Supporter Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Thanks for the responses. I have a question b4 I do anything potentially dumb

    Bootneuter tells me
    Bootloader is 3.9
    neuter is on
    fakeblank is off
    unlock is on

    Does this indicate the guy i got the phone from used ziphone? Is there something I can do to stop playing Russian roulette with my phone? I have restored using winpwn. Back to BL though should I just flip the switch and hit flash? Or what? Where can I read about using bootneuter?

    Thanks so much

    Budsalinger

  8. #8
    Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtube View Post
    @point_01,
    16 GB iphone OTB should be 1.1.3 or higher. BBinfo tells you it's 3.9 but the critical piece of info which is not shown is if it is FB or not. If FB is not there, it was probably been through ziphone. If it FB is there, then it's been through iplus/iLiberty+ or pwnage.

    The quick way to check if it is 3.9FB or not is to use bootneuter. It will tell you.

    If your phone had been through ziphone then you are playing russian roulette with that phone.

    my phone has been winpwned....but im not sure how it was unlocked initally..could have been ziphoned....is that a problem?

  9. #9
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by budsalinger View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I have a question b4 I do anything potentially dumb

    Bootneuter tells me
    Bootloader is 3.9
    neuter is on
    fakeblank is off
    unlock is on

    Does this indicate the guy i got the phone from used ziphone? Is there something I can do to stop playing Russian roulette with my phone? I have restored using winpwn. Back to BL though should I just flip the switch and hit flash? Or what? Where can I read about using bootneuter?

    Thanks so much

    Budsalinger
    I think you are OK.
    You're bootloader is 3.9, neuter=on, FB=off, unlock=on.
    This tells me the bootloader has been neutered and phone is unlocked. You don't need to do anything. Neuter=on tells me you or someone used Dev Team bootneuter to unlock the phone. Not ziphoned.
    Regarding bootneuter, here's the official Dev Team information on it
    http://wikee.iphwn.org/sgold_bootrom:bootneuter

  10. #10
    Administrator Array

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by point_01 View Post
    my phone has been winpwned....but im not sure how it was unlocked initally..could have been ziphoned....is that a problem?
    if it has been winpwned then traces of ziphoned is gone. It is still best to use bootneuter to find out exactly what you have as far as bootloader goes. You run it, it will tell you.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [BootLoader] 3.9_M3S2 or 4.6 Whats the Difference ?
    By judgejase in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 01:14 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 05:36 PM
  5. updated bootloader, any difference in quality?
    By ramzi188 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:04 AM.
twitter, follow us!