Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Discuss Backup/Restore only Contacts and Messages... Possible?! at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Hi All, long time lurker and first time poster here trying to gain a little ...
  1. #1
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Backup/Restore only Contacts and Messages... Possible?!

    Hi All, long time lurker and first time poster here trying to gain a little wisdom before heading to the apple shop

    Phones:
    8GB 3G (Jailbroken)
    16GB 3GS (New bootloader - dont really wanna Jailbreak but will if theres a solution to this problem)

    I was just wondering if it was possible to retore an old IPhone 3G 8GB's Contacts and Messages without anything else to a new 3GS?

    The reason i ask is that the restrictions (Camera etc.) were enabled on the 3G and the passcode was lost; therefore cannot be removed without a restore (which will loose all info).

    So as soon as we restore the backup onto the 3GS, everything is locked down again! How frustrating! Is there a way of not copying over these settings to the 3GS please? Many thanks in anticipation...

    Ed



  2. #2
    Professional Array caboboy702's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Thumbs up iPhone PC Suite 2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by edbutler View Post
    Hi All, long time lurker and first time poster here trying to gain a little wisdom before heading to the apple shop

    Phones:
    8GB 3G (Jailbroken)
    16GB 3GS (New bootloader - dont really wanna Jailbreak but will if theres a solution to this problem)

    I was just wondering if it was possible to retore an old IPhone 3G 8GB's Contacts and Messages without anything else to a new 3GS?

    The reason i ask is that the restrictions (Camera etc.) were enabled on the 3G and the passcode was lost; therefore cannot be removed without a restore (which will loose all info).

    So as soon as we restore the backup onto the 3GS, everything is locked down again! How frustrating! Is there a way of not copying over these settings to the 3GS please? Many thanks in anticipation...

    Ed
    YES......

    I use the (FREE) iPhone PC Suite 2.8 to back-up my iPhone 3G or 3GS. Never used itunes back-up. Everytime you back up on itunes it copies all settings and configurations.

    What the iPhone PC Suite does is let you back-up ONLY what you want to back-up or restore ie. Contacts, Notes, SMS, and so on.

    Try it, I think you will like this back-up instead of itunes. (iPhone must be jailbroken to use this.)


    iPhone PC Suite download link: Codecs.com :: Download iPhone PC Suite 2.8.0.118 : iPhone PC Suite is an interesting iPhone manager

    Oh.. and I almost forgot. When you are finished the downloading and installing, it my be in a different language. After installing just ckick on the arrow in left top couner next to the iPhone picture and change the language to English.

    ENJOY....

    Jeff
    Last edited by caboboy702; 02-27-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add-on
    Now the iPhone 4
    The ulitmate iPhone...... :-)

  3. #3
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Wow Jeff, thats great... This looks perfect for my friend and i also was looking for a viable alternative to iTunes!!

    Thanks for taking your time for such a concise reply - you sir are a gentleman and a scholar!!

  4. #4
    Professional Array caboboy702's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edbutler View Post
    Wow Jeff, thats great... This looks perfect for my friend and i also was looking for a viable alternative to iTunes!!

    Thanks for taking your time for such a concise reply - you sir are a gentleman and a scholar!!
    No Problemo........
    Now the iPhone 4
    The ulitmate iPhone...... :-)

  5. #5
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You can use outlook express to back up contacts and messages.
    I have done this but it was not the easiest thing to do.
    You need to go to info in your iPhone settings in iTunes, select where you want to back it up to in outlook or yahoo, windows or google, then sync your phone and job done.


  6. #6
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabrad View Post
    You can use outlook express to back up contacts and messages.
    I have done this but it was not the easiest thing to do.
    You need to go to info in your iPhone settings in iTunes, select where you want to back it up to in outlook or yahoo, windows or google, then sync your phone and job done.
    Okay I'm having a very annoying problem with my iPod touch restore Victoriabrad (and anyone out there wanting to help me..) So I had a 2G for around 3 years and just upgraded to a 5G in November. When I got my new iPod touch I backed it up from my 2G's back up. The only problem is.... About 2 years ago I was bored and playing around with my restrictions and blocked certain things (downloading apps 17+, for instance). So when I restored from a back up it was like my 2G on my 5G, just with the restrictions.. The annoying thing is I can't do alot of things because of the restrictions- e.g. Erase contents and settings, restart network settings, etc. Recently I was looking online for ways to increase my 5G's battery life, and stumbled across and article saying I shouldn't load up a new device with back up files from iTunes, and it may affect battery life. Anyways, I restored it and was frustrated that i didn't get my contacts back (and this morning saw my game saves, photos, and app data was missing). I never wrote my contacts down on paper, and now I really can't! I don't wanna restore from my old back up cuz I want a new "clean" device with those annoying restrictions (I caused) off!!! Is there anyway (without jail breaking or seriously modding my device) I can choose JUST to put the contacts, photos, and app data/game data, back on my iPod without the restrictions?!?! Please help! Thank you! (Btw, I tried syncing contacts from outlook, yahoo, google, on iTunes to my iPod touch.. But nothing! Looks like I'm gonna be stuck with a complete restore from my 2G, AND I DON'T WANT THAT!!!!)

  7. #7
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NumizNate View Post
    Okay I'm having a very annoying problem with my iPod touch restore Victoriabrad (and anyone out there wanting to help me..) So I had a 2G for around 3 years and just upgraded to a 5G in November. When I got my new iPod touch I backed it up from my 2G's back up. The only problem is.... About 2 years ago I was bored and playing around with my restrictions and blocked certain things (downloading apps 17+, for instance). So when I restored from a back up it was like my 2G on my 5G, just with the restrictions.. The annoying thing is I can't do alot of things because of the restrictions- e.g. Erase contents and settings, restart network settings, etc. Recently I was looking online for ways to increase my 5G's battery life, and stumbled across and article saying I shouldn't load up a new device with back up files from iTunes, and it may affect battery life. Anyways, I restored it and was frustrated that i didn't get my contacts back (and this morning saw my game saves, photos, and app data was missing). I never wrote my contacts down on paper, and now I really can't! I don't wanna restore from my old back up cuz I want a new "clean" device with those annoying restrictions (I caused) off!!! Is there anyway (without jail breaking or seriously modding my device) I can choose JUST to put the contacts, photos, and app data/game data, back on my iPod without the restrictions?!?! Please help! Thank you! (Btw, I tried syncing contacts from outlook, yahoo, google, on iTunes to my iPod touch.. But nothing! Looks like I'm gonna be stuck with a complete restore from my 2G, AND I DON'T WANT THAT!!!!)
    Have you try use iCloud?
    The easy way to add a contact from Mac address book to iCloud contacts is simply to open address book to the new contact and drag the contact to "iCloud - All iCloud". Then it will show up on your iPhone and iPad. Too easy.
    Last edited by victoriabrad; 02-07-2013 at 03:00 AM.

  8. #8
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabrad View Post
    Have you try use iCloud?
    The easy way to add a contact from Mac address book to iCloud contacts is simply to open address book to the new contact and drag the contact to "iCloud - All iCloud". Then it will show up on your iPhone and iPad. Too easy.
    I don't think I have a "Mac Address book". I'm using a PC. If it doesn't matter, where would I find the Mac Address book? And I never synced my stuff to iCloud. Okay here's a new question.. Now that I know how to do contacts, how do I do app data- e.g. game saves, pictures inside of third party apps? I don't see anywhere to sync "app data". Will I have to use iCloud for that? As in the "documents and data" thing? Thank you!

  9. #9
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I believe in both contact sync with services such as the iCloud or Google contacts (for Android), but the user must be enabled to safely backup their iPhone contacts to PC (without the need for online services). Here is a helpful article which summarizes if not all, most ways to manage iPhone contacts both online and on the PC.

  10. #10
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You can backup all your files from your iPod, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to iTunes or PC, such as backup iPhone Contacts/SMS to PC,and manager your iPhone contacts on computer,backup music, video, playlists, etc to your Mac/PC, so that you can recover any lost or missing media . With this package, you can backup and restore all of your iPod, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch content, including your favorite songs, videos, photos, play lists, TV shows, Podcasts, iTunes U and more. If you have any iPod, iPad or iPhone device, this software is a must-have utility to keep your iPod, iPad or iPhone safe.
    Read more: How to manage/transfer iphone/ipad data to PC or Mac for backup with one click.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
  2. How to restore contacts from a backup
    By Darietto in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:32 PM.
twitter, follow us!