Discuss Automatic network configuration (EDGE and etc) at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Well, seems that Carrier.plist that was used to control the network dependent configuration for EDGE ...
Automatic network configuration (EDGE and etc)
Well, seems that Carrier.plist that was used to control the network dependent configuration for EDGE and other settings in gone in 1.1.2 and the MCC-MNC is now inside each network configuration file.
This opens some nice possibilities:
1) Now it's even simpler to distribute network configuration files, and even installer can be used for that. Really nice!
2) The whole mechanism proves to be the only safe method to run EDGE on "unofficial" networks.
Why: Because without the proper network configuration plist the iPhone treats the connection as a "roaming" connection, and will "clear" the EDGE settings if "No Data while roaming" is on.
(this is why by default it keeps disapearing under 1.1.1)
3) Since Services.plist is alos gone, now the <services> tag in the network files should be working! Also a point for creating really nice config files.
As soon as I get my hands on 1.1.2 (working and unlocked) I will post the new mechism.
How does it work in 1.1.1 (should not be much different in 1.1.2)
1) Whenever there is a network change trigger, the iPhone reconfigures.
2) It will search the Carrier list (CarrierMap.plist in 1.1.1 and the list of MCC-MNC in 1.1.2) for a match with the new network.
3) If one is found, then the proper plist (network + country) will be used, and the mode is set to "HOME NETWORK"
4) If one is *not* found, then the UnkownCarrier plist is used, and the mode is set to "ROAMING"
5) Then the com.apple.carrier.plist symbolic link is set to the proper network plist (3) or (4) above
6) If "ROAMING" and the "Data Roaming" is set to "OFF", then the EDGE Settings will revert to those in UnknownCarrier.plist from time to time (what triggers, beats me).
SO CHANGING UnkownCarrier.plist is quite dangerous!
This is valid for 1.1.1 and should be valid for 1.1.2 too (To be confirmed)
So in 1.1.1 I should set my roaming to ON to get it to save the APN, Username and Password that I have manually entered?
If you set to on, then it will stick, but the side effect is that you face the risk of a large data bill if you ever enter roaming.
Originally Posted by MrJoshua
To make it stick you need to create a specific plist for your network. That is THE SAFE and correct way. Besides, in 1.1.2 there are many more network configurable parameters there.
For a how to check:
After post #17. This is for 1.1.1 only. For 1.1.2 it's a bit more complex.
By rafiki270 in forum General
Last Post: 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
By IphoneFSU in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
By jev in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
By element in forum General
Last Post: 09-23-2007, 04:58 AM