Discuss Apple reversing the unlock: the case for and against at the General - Hackint0sh.org; For patching the baseband in update 1.0.3+ to undo the unlock, what is the case ...
Apple reversing the unlock: the case for and against
For patching the baseband in update 1.0.3+ to undo the unlock, what is the case for and against for Apple to do this?
- Preserves relationship with AT&T
- Stops US customers migrating to T-Mobile
- Prevents loss of $11/month revenue sharing for customers who break 2-year contract
- Preserves relationship with three European partners for November launch
- Prevents loss of 10% revenue sharing from European networks
- Turns people off buying iPhone so sales decrease
- Angers Apple customers if their iPhones stop working
- Destroys "halo effect" eg, broken iPhone customers won't buy more expensive MacBooks, iMacs
- Some customers may even become anti-Apple, eg some of the "ripped-off $200" customers were threatening never to do business with Apple again
- Most overseas buyers will wait for local availability / warranty / support anyway, so why bother
- Enough bad press from the $200 price drop, wouldn't want to tarnish iPhone image further
- It's actually legal to unlock your own phone under the DMCA, so what grounds would Apple have to justify relocking without permission
- With Nokia and others coming out with competing models, Apple needs all the iPhone supporters it can muster
- May recognize that overseas buyers who have gone to considerable expense and time to import, research, and unlock their phone, should be allowed to use it
- Screwing with the baseband to try to prevent future unlocks may have bad side effects for the many legitimate customers, further eroding confidence
- Hackers will find an unlock again anyway, so again, why bother
Feel free to add to this list.
Is everyone really worried that they will relock it? Seriously?
Has any phone company/service provider ever relocked an unlocked device?
Has any phone ever come with regular firmware updates?
c'mon, ever owned a windows mobile device? rom updates and patches etc.
Originally Posted by SuitCase
Apple will probably not lock the phone in future updates.. don't think they care so mutch anyway..
By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
Last Post: 04-05-2011, 04:00 AM
By breakit in forum iPhone/iPod Touch
Last Post: 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM
By sabxine in forum Yellowsn0w (3G unlock)
Last Post: 04-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Last Post: 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM