Discuss 8 weeks holiday in US, which prepaid card with data? at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Hi there,
I am from Germany and will be on holiday in the US for ...
8 weeks holiday in US, which prepaid card with data?
I am from Germany and will be on holiday in the US for 8 weeks starting July 31st. I own an unlocked iPhone which I am using with a unlimited data contract over here. As I am not willing to pay a thousand euros just for checking my emails while I am in the states I am looking for the right pay as you go soloution for my iPhone.
Is there any prepaid plan that offers unlimited data in the US? Or at least a prepaid amount of data?
As I understand I can use either the AT&T or the T-Mobile network with the iPhone, so I am focusing on their data plans for prepaid. Unfortunately their webpages are a mess, can't get any useful information from there.
Thanks for your help!
Is really nobody in the US using the iPhone with a Pay as You Go card?
i think its TMobile but im not from the US and i cant confirm that
but most of the users here are using tmobile (as far as i can tell)
MacBook Pro OS X SNOW Leopard
iPhone 4 16GB
iPad WiFi 64GB iOS 4.2
BlackBerry Curve 3G (9300)
Read the stickies and search the forum before posting!
Did we solve your problem? +1 us above
If you want to become a Hackint0sh supporter click here
---------- Follow Hackint0sh Follow Me
Thanks for your answer.
I just found out about the T-Zones Hack, so T-Mobile sounds good... But one question remains: Can I get the T-Zones Package with a Pay as You go card, or are only contracts
eligible for this plan?
Due to the fact that I am not a citizen I don't have a SSN so I am stuck with Prepaid.
EDIT: I am just through with reading almost every thread concerning t-zones in here... Unfortunately t-zones will not work in the described way on prepaid, it's included as a"walled garden" which will only allow to view a limited number of sites chosen by t-mobile, no real internet.
So the t-zones hack is not an option for me
Maybe if I am eligible for the flex pay contract. Don't know if you can get one
if you're not a citizen...
Last edited by d_1734; 07-13-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Well, I think I finally managed to understand the confusing AT&T page. As I undestood I can get an unlimited data Package (Medianet) for $20 per Month with their gophone prepaid.
According to another post this can be booked by calling 611 and following the prompts...
I hope this will work out.
Thanks for this informative thread - I will be going on vacation too, and is looking for something similar.
If my calendar is right, you are in the US now.
Can you update us with details on how/if this is working out?
I've been using AT&T Pre-Paid (GoPhone) in the US for quite a while now. There are a few tricks to be knwon:
- "Pick your plan", is a pre-paid subscription plan. Hence, you have to "terminate" your account to stop the recurring charges.
- "Pay-as-you-Go" is a refill based plan and does not require monthly payments. As long as you prevent your account from "terminating", you can just add more money and it will become active again.
- They both have several "sub-plans" and some offer unlimited mobile-to-mobile call. Very nice if people you call have AT&T mobile service too.
- Both offer MediaNet data service, including an unlimited option for $19.99. On Pick-your-plan, it's for a billing cycle (it's a subscription option) and for "Pay-as-you-Go" you just charge it to your credits and it's valid for a whole month.
- The same applies to the SMS packages.
- Only Pay-as-you-Go has the International calling feature (better rates) already included. It's a paid option on Pick-your-plan for $3.99.
- Pay-as-you-Go sub-plans are tricky: one charges 25c/min and the other is 10c/min. The catch is that the simpler one has a $1.00 daily charge (on days it's used only), even if you do mobile-to-mobile calls.
- Pay-as-you-Go "Mobile to mobile" are free under the Unlimited plan only (the 10c/min plan). This plan also offers a Unlimited Weekends and nights option for $19.99.
In summary it all depends on your usage profile:
- Data and SMS cost the same under all these plans. So that's not the issue here.
- If it's for a single period that is longer than a month (single period means you do not want to keep the number for future trips), then "Pick-Your-Plan" is the best option.
- If you want to keep your number for future trips , use Pay-as-you-Go. It will be a bit more expensive (never more than $25/month on the worst case).
- Under pay-as-you-go, if your will use in average 6 or less minutes daily, use the 25c/min plan. Otherwise the 10c/min plan is cheaper. This accounts only for minutes. The 10c/min also have the unlimited mobile-to-mobile option included, so it may be an even better deal.
- On pay-as-you-Go, to keep the phone you must keep track of the termination date. Add credits before it terminates.
Personally, I use the Pay-as-you-go 10c/min:
- I been keeping the same number for years (even before the iPhone)
- I keep track of the termination date using my computer, so I do not worry at all.
- I use it a lot for other AT&T mobiles
- I dial internationally
- I make at least 2 trips to the US every year. This year I'm going for the 4th time this month, and I've stayed more than 40 days already. So it's worth keeping the number and the credits never expired.
I add data min depending on how many days I will be using it. Usually 5MB is good for a few days. When I go for a longer period, like 2 or more weeks, I get the unlimited.
Works very nice for me and for my family and some friends.
Hope this summary helps.
Beautiful summary, thank you
I will pretty much only be using it for data, and possibly a few international calls, so it sounds like the "Pay-as-you-go" option with the unlimited data plan will suit me best.
Can I just go into any AT & T store and get a SIM card, or are there anything to worry about there?
So what's the best prepaid option now that the AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data?
I've got an unlocked iPhone 3G so can use any carrier. Would like to mainly use data over a 3 week visit.
By KrisEv in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
By suarsg in forum General
Last Post: 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
By yalag in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
By Samcrac in forum General
Last Post: 09-20-2007, 02:19 AM