Discuss [1.0.2] Really lost on upgrade at the General - Hackint0sh.org; Ok sorry if this is covered somewhere else. But i am really, really lost has ...
[1.0.2] Really lost on upgrade
Ok sorry if this is covered somewhere else. But i am really, really lost has to how to upgrade my Iphone to a newer version. I ahve read the How tos , but i must be thick or something because i don't see a clear way to do this with a 1.0.2 phone . I have absolutely NO idea what was used to open it. I only know that it works with Ibrikr with no problems...
Just a Noob looking for guidance
? Huh? Do you wanna stay on 1.0.2 or do you want to upgrade to 1.1.4? All you have to do is hit restore in itunes when you plug in Your fone. Itunes will then download the 1.1.4 firmware onto the computer, and then will proceed to install. If you want to go to a different version, such as 1.0.2, just download the 1.0.2 ipsw from iphone-h a c k s .com <no spaces>, and press SHIFT+RESTORE, browse for the 1.0.2 file, and press open.
Originally Posted by Cholerabob
I hope this helps. You might want to virginize the baseband as well if you want to downgrade to 1.0.2. itunes MAY not allow to downgrade. So to be on the safe side, download "bootneuter" and flash your baseband before hand (meaning on 1.1.4). Then try restoring to 1.0.2. Good programs to have handy are "winpwn, iliberty, ziphone 3.0". Good luck, PM me if you have questions or if this wasn't wat u wanted lol
Yes i want to move on to a newer version i have 1.0.2 right now.
I did the 1.02->1.14 step a week ago.
Originally Posted by Cholerabob
Here is how I did it:
1. Viriginize first (very easy) / Virginize (easy) <--- I used that method
2. (optional Backup) Install "Time Capsule" @ http://repo.databinge.com = Backups everything you need!
WinScp your Phone and copy the TimeCapsule folder to your PC/Mac.
3. Download 1.14 Firmware
4. Use this very easy tuorial for Pwnage Tool to upgrate to 1.14(Windows or Mac)
5. You might want to apply these fixes: cookie Fix, AppSupport for 1.14 (look in installer -> 1.14 Tweaks) and "No Edge Settings" (optional)
It should take you approximately 1-2 hours, but you won't regret it.
Last edited by Numl0ck; 05-02-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Numl0ck provides an excellent guide here, but I just wanted to add my two cents since I just did this last week. Here is what I did step-by-step:
1. Used the apptapp installer to get Installer on my phone. This is available from http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/
Make sure you get version 3.1
2. Once apptapp is installed connect to WiFi and let it do its autoupdate thing.
3. Press the Home button and go to the Settings menu and set "Autolock" to Never. This is critical
4. Open Installer, and add the source "http://i.unlock.no"
5. This will add a menu called "Unlocking Tools"
6. Download and install "The Virginizer"
7. Again you will be warned to set Autolock to Never. Make sure you do this
8. Run The Virginizer. If all goes well you will get a message telling you it was successful and you will have no signal, and you will get a SIM Error. This is good.
9. Reboot your phone into Restore Mode (power up holding Home and Power, release Power and continue holding home until you see "Connect to iTunes" and a yellow triangle.
10. Plug your phone in and launch iTunes. It will tell you that is has found a phone in recovery mode and must check with iTunes for the latest version. Let it, who cares. Click on Restore to download 1.1.4 and install. If you already downloaded then option (or shift on Windows) click on restore and select the 1.1.4 install file.
11. Once it restores quit iTunes and on the Mac launch "Activity Monitor" (in Applications-->Utilities) and sort by name. Kill the process called "iTunes helper". Make sure it disappears
-My first restore sat for over an HOUR. I finally had to reset the phone by holding down Home + Sleep/Power. I was left with no IMEI or ICCID and the "connect to iTunes" screen. Worse yet, iTunes would not recognize it! I had to use iLiberty+ to kick it out of recovery mode. This left me at the activation screen, but my phone was pretty useless at this point. I again used iLiberty+, but this time to put it in DFU mode. At this point iTunes recognized my phone and successfully restored it (more like 20 mins. this time around).
12. After it was restored and I had the activation screen (and iTunes + the helper killed) I launched PwnageTool 1.1 with my iPhone still attached. I navigated to my 1.1.4 firmware (make sure it is the iPhone FW and not the iTouch!), let it do its checking thing and then hit the iPwner button. From there I followed the on-screen prompts.
13. After it was pwn'ed (and lots of text flashed across the iPhone screen) I used the IPSW Builder to make a custom firmware with the following options:
-General: Activate, Enable baseband update, Neuter bootloader (NOT update),
Unlock baseband, and Auto Delete Boot Neuter
-Custom Packages: BSD Subsystem, Installer, & OpenSSH
-Custom Logos: I kept the pineapple and got rid of Russian Steve. Personal
preference on that one
14. Once it was was created, I then put the phone in recovery mode, launched iTunes, and option-clicked the "Restore" button. I selected my custom 1.1.4 firmware and let iTunes install it. Be patient while Boot Neuter works and don't touch anything It's pretty quick. Once it was done my phone rebooted and came up with my T-Mobile SIM installed. I did all of this with my T-Mobile SIM installed. The only thing you need to do after this is setup EDGE for T-mobile (or your provider) and you are good to go.
That's how I did it. I hope it works for you. I was REALLY nervous about upgrading, but once I did it, I realized it wasn't that bad. My best advice to you is if something goes wrong DON'T PANIC and start trying every tool out there. Be patient, ask for advice, and it will most likely be fine. The worst thing you can do is start trying things that you don't fully understand. That (in my opinion) is the fastest way to truly break things. Good Luck!
BTW: The first time around my phone hung on "Restoring Firmware" I was able to figure out that it was hung by looking at the iPhone Updater log. To do this
1. Launch Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal
2. from the ...$ prompt type:
cd /Users/yourusername/Library/Logs/iPhone\ Updater Logs
3. Type "ls" to see a list of logs. They will be in the form of "iPhoneUpdate X.log" where X is a number beginning from 1. The highest number is your current installation. Once you have identified the highest number type:
...$ tail -f iPhoneUpdater\ X.log
This will display the last 10 lines of the file and actively read in any new updates to the file. Once the installation has completed you will see a message:
2008-04-24 23:04:23.000 iTunes[367:cdc7]: _AMRestoreModeDeviceFinalize: 0x17f2af00
2008-04-25 00:30:44.000 iTunes[367:20b]: device connected (isDFU = 0)
Press control-c to cancel the process and type exit to logout.
A couple of notes:
Based upon what I have seen it appears that if a process has "progress -1" this means it is preparing to run the process. As it makes progress the "-1" will be replaced by a percentage value. My install hung on "operation 19" (during the firmware portion of the restore) for nearly an hour and updated every 28 minutes or so with "progress -1". Also, not all processes will give you anything more than "-1", only the ones that can provide progress. The firmware portions seem to only provide "progress -1" and this makes sense since the iTunes status only shows that an operation is running, but no actual progress bar, whereas the software portion gives steady progress updates. Regardless this information is useful because it gives time stamps if nothing else.
Last edited by fr0; 05-02-2008 at 04:54 AM.
How did you unlock? If you used Geohot's hardware hack/anySIM 1.1/iUnlock you will need to virginize. To virginize, add source i.unlock.no to installer and install "the virginizer."
Then, hit restore in iTunes and it will automatically download the 1.1.4 firmware. Sit back while you are upgraded
Then, when you are done, iPhone should say "Activate iPhone" or something like that (it will have the connect to iTunes graphic in the background and will have a "slide for emergency" instead of "slide to unlock" at the bottom)
Now, download iLiberty+ for windows or iLibertyX for mac. look for these on ipluspwns.com
Open it up, and on a mac select the "jailbreak + installer" option, and the Activate option. DO NOT SELECT UNLOCK. On windows, I cant remember what to press, but click the things that do the following: jailbreak, add installer and activate. DO NOT UNLOCK.
Next, press go or something and your iPhone will go all strage with white text on the screen. it will look freaky but also cool.
Then it should wake up from surgery and be activated, jailbroken and have installer.
Now we will unlock. Open up installer, let sources refresh and install "BootNeuter."
Now, make iPhone has lots of battery. Go into "Settings -> General -> Auto Lock" and set to "Never "
Now, open up bootneuter from springboard (the home screen). It will say some stuff at the bottom about unloading CommCenter etc. Give it a few seconds.
Now, make sure the settings are as follows:
and once the settings are like that, click "flash" in the top right.
It will take a while. DO NOT DISTURB IT. IF YOU THINK IT IS FROZEN IT PROBABLY ISNT. DONT DO ANYTHING UNLESS ITS BEEN LIKE AN HOUR. it should only take about 3-5 mins max.
when it is done, reboot. then go into settings -> general -> autolock and set it to what you want.
be very careful with bootneuter. if it makes you feel safer, uninstall it. dont ever flash unless you have a reason to. you dont want to get bricked.
hope this helps
By ally1440 in forum iPhone 3GS
Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:18 AM
By Doctor Sid in forum iPhone OS 3.x
Last Post: 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
By Deoneo in forum PwnageTool
Last Post: 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM
By flashyphotos in forum iPhone "2G" (Rev. 1)
Last Post: 02-07-2008, 02:10 AM
By faraziit in forum General
Last Post: 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM