Results 1 to 9 of 9
Discuss BSD Subsystem or Binkit? at the Free Toolchain Software (Cydia App's) - Hackint0sh.org; Are the BSD Subsystem and Binkit (version 0.6) the one and the same thing? I ...
  1. #1
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default BSD Subsystem or Binkit?

    Are the BSD Subsystem and Binkit (version 0.6) the one and the same thing?

    I ask this because i want to install the BSD Subsystem manually (without Installer.app) because my Wi-Fi does not have Internet access.

    What about Community Sources and Open SSH? Can I install those manually?



  2. #2
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    You can install SSH with the ibrickr pxl...

    Do you have edge? If so, you can get community sources from there (its small to just add the sources), and if you dont, well, why do you want installer if you dont have internet on the wifi and no edge??

  3. #3
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm going to unlock my phone using the tutorial on modmyiphone.com

    It says I need to install BSD Subsystem, Community Sources and Open SSH using Installer.app. The problem I'm facing is that I don't have a Wi-Fi with internet access, like i've said before.

    But I've been doing some digging lately, and it seems I can share my dialup internet from my Macbook (the MacBook will act as a base station it seems).

    My question is, will this work?

    I'd try it if I can, but my iPhone isn't here at the moment (it arrives tomorrow).

    Please help.

  4. #4
    Senior Professional Array dogzilla's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBreakfast View Post
    I'm going to unlock my phone using the tutorial on modmyiphone.com

    It says I need to install BSD Subsystem, Community Sources and Open SSH using Installer.app. The problem I'm facing is that I don't have a Wi-Fi with internet access, like i've said before.

    But I've been doing some digging lately, and it seems I can share my dialup internet from my Macbook (the MacBook will act as a base station it seems).

    My question is, will this work?

    I'd try it if I can, but my iPhone isn't here at the moment (it arrives tomorrow).

    Please help.
    I don't understand. Why don't you just use the Edge connection to download and install the BSD Subsystem?

    If you're not using this with one of the Apple-supported network providers, be aware that, if you want to install the upcoming software update, you'll most likely need to restore your phone to its default state before applying it, which will probably mean wiping out the work you're doing here. See http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/25/iphon...ues-statement/
    "Are you into S&M?"
    "Well...I'm a Red Sox fan. Does that count?"
    Go Sox!

  5. #5
    Professional Array abtf2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Hey Psych,
    I haven't looked at the contents of "BSD Subsystem", but binkit-0.6 will do what
    you need. Also, for your purposes, OpenSSH and dropbear are the same too.

    I have installed both binkit and dropbear manually, with iphoneinterface (back in the
    day). BUT, its sooooo much easier now with ibrickr. Just select binkit and
    dropbear from the Applications browser. While you're there, get
    VT100 terminal too!

    You sound like you have your unlock method picked and you've studied it. Good move,
    you shouldn't have any problems. Just to be complete, I'll tell you that I unlocked
    following 'iphone.unlock.no', replacing references to "BSD Subsystem" and "OpenSSH"
    with "binkit" and "dropbear". Worked fine; voice and edge on a small time GSM
    provider called Unicel.

    Let us know how using your macbook as a proxy works for you. I did it by
    running privoxy on my laptop and pointing to it with my (old) phone, but only
    simple web pages displayed correctly.

    <off-topic>
    >> Location: Pakistan
    That's so cool (that our little toy has covered the globe).
    I saw Sam's comment that Dev Team *bows before thee* hacks are extending
    the iphone beyond "certain countries". Just so you know, the Dev Team also
    made the iphone an option in Vermont (which was still a part of the US last time
    I checked). I would have been happy to sign with ATT, even staying below their
    40% on leased GSM towers constraint. But they said "Bite me, your state is populated
    by cows". Its a well known fact that cows produce better cheese when they have
    full screen mobile WiFi. Thank you Sam and Co.


    Dev Team and your extended family of hacks: You guys/gals are the best!
    El Steveo: Thank you for the heads up to not upgrade past 1.0.2 until we've
    worked through the details. That was a cool thing to do, and we appreciate it.

    </off-topic>
    Last edited by abtf2; 09-26-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo city...


  6. #6
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla View Post
    I don't understand. Why don't you just use the Edge connection to download and install the BSD Subsystem?
    I don't think I'll have EDGE access when I'm following the unlock because obviously the phone's data and voice is tied to AT&T only - which isn't available here... I must be missing something here. Sorry if its something obvious.

    This is why I'm hoping I can use my MacBook as a basestation and allow the iPhone to connect to the Internet through it (even though its going to be painfully slow).


    If you're not using this with one of the Apple-supported network providers, be aware that, if you want to install the upcoming software update, you'll most likely need to restore your phone to its default state before applying it, which will probably mean wiping out the work you're doing here. See http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/25/iphon...ues-statement/
    Ah, yes. I've been reading the boards for a month now. I'm definitely not going to upgrade until the Dev Team says its okay to do so... Besides the Wi-Fi music store is useless to me; iTunes Music Store isn't available in Pakistan.

    Quote Originally Posted by abtf2 View Post
    Hey Psych,
    I haven't looked at the contents of "BSD Subsystem", but binkit-0.6 will do what
    you need. Also, for your purposes, OpenSSH and dropbear are the same too.

    I have installed both binkit and dropbear manually, with iphoneinterface (back in the
    day). BUT, its sooooo much easier now with ibrickr. Just select binkit and
    dropbear from the Applications browser. While you're there, get
    VT100 terminal too!
    Thanks a lot man. If using the Macbook as a proxy doesn't work for me, I'll try installing them manually. Just one problem: iBrickr isn't available for the Mac... any other suggestions?

    Also, what about Community Sources? Where do I get that incase i decide to install manually.

    You sound like you have your unlock method picked and you've studied it. Good move,
    you shouldn't have any problems. Just to be complete, I'll tell you that I unlocked
    following 'iphone.unlock.no', replacing references to "BSD Subsystem" and "OpenSSH"
    with "binkit" and "dropbear". Worked fine; voice and edge on a small time GSM
    provider called Unicel.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

    Let us know how using your macbook as a proxy works for you. I did it by
    running privoxy on my laptop and pointing to it with my (old) phone, but only
    simple web pages displayed correctly.
    I'll update this thread when I'm done with my unlock. I think it should work fine since the Macbook acts as a basestation and the iPhone wouldn't know any better. It'd just be slow - but thats due to dialup.

    I appreciate all the help you guys have given, and ofcourse the Dev Team. Thank you.
    Last edited by PsychedelicBreakfast; 09-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Professional Array abtf2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBreakfast View Post
    Thanks a lot man. If using the Macbook as a proxy doesn't work for me, I'll try installing them manually. Just one problem: iBrickr isn't available for the Mac... any other suggestions?

    Also, what about Community Sources? Where do I get that incase i decide to install manually.
    I haven't done any iphone work on a mac, but people talk about 'breezy' as the equivalent of iBrickr for
    installing PXL files. Check out http://iphone.exploit.org/pxl.

    And Comm Sources are available through iBrickr/breezy by installing 'Installer' from nullriver.
    Last edited by abtf2; 09-26-2007 at 09:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abtf2 View Post
    And Comm Sources are available through iBrickr/breezy by installing 'Installer' from nullriver.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by that... I understand to install PXL files I'll download them from the link you gave me (BSD Subsystem and dropbear) but why would I need to install Installer to get Comm. Sources?

    Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this.

  9. #9
    Professional Array abtf2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBreakfast View Post
    I don't quite understand what you mean by that... I understand to install PXL files I'll download them from the link you gave me (BSD Subsystem and dropbear) but why would I need to install Installer to get Comm. Sources?

    Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this.
    If you install binkit-0.6 and dropbear from ibrickr/breezy, I don't think you need Installer at all. But as I said, I used a different guide.

    I wish someone who followed the modmyiphone tutorial would respond, because I think the only reason for Community Sources is to get SSH up and running. And you'll have that with binkit and dropbear.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. No sound after binkit install
    By da76 in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM
  2. How To Install Binkit ??please Please
    By lixxfc in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 08:10 AM
  3. Binkit Problems
    By iamse7en in forum Free Toolchain Software (Cydia App's)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 05:21 PM
  4. Help installing Binkit
    By footsie77 in forum Tools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
  5. How to copy Binkit to iPhone?
    By Tabula in forum Tools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:40 PM.
twitter, follow us!