Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Discuss Working Distro for HP Pavilion DV7-2185dx at the Distributions - Hackint0sh.org; ...
  1. #1
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Working Distro for HP Pavilion DV7-2185dx

    I'm looking for a working distro for my laptop. A HP Pavilion DV7-2185dx. My friend gave me an iPC 10.5.6 and it did not work, some panic problem with the Voodoo Kernel...

    Here is the specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 / 2 GHz (64 bit)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (1024 MB )
    6 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM (with Lightscribe)
    5 in 1 card reader
    Intel WiFi Link 5100

    for others click here


    Here is a Video of my first attempt.
    VIDEO
    Last edited by flipdan92; 04-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.



  2. #2
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Hi there,
    If you could, be more specific so assistance will come easier. What chipsets is in your board? Have you got through the installation process? That KP is after installation and at first boot? If so, what options under customization that you have selected?
    Did you use any boot option? Last resort, if that iPC doesn't work then you could try either Ideneb 1.6 Lite edition or Iatkos v7, since these are newer and have more hardware support.
    Regards,

  3. #3
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratvn View Post
    Hi there,
    If you could, be more specific so assistance will come easier. What chipsets is in your board? Have you got through the installation process? That KP is after installation and at first boot? If so, what options under customization that you have selected?
    Did you use any boot option? Last resort, if that iPC doesn't work then you could try either Ideneb 1.6 Lite edition or Iatkos v7, since these are newer and have more hardware support.
    Regards,

    Ok, sorry, ill try to be really specific.
    chipset: Intel PM45 Rev. 07

    The only things i have changed was the BIOS setting for startup and what is KP? If i think it mean problem, that problem came in at the first boot.

    The video shows everything I did.

  4. #4
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Hi,
    So you want me watch a little video eh? LOL
    While I enjoyed your video, it's kind blurry and hard to tell. Next time maybe use a camera and take a picture?
    Make sure your BIOS settings: SATA to AHCI, ACPI enable.
    Boot options: -x -v busratio=20 cpus=1 maxmem=2048
    You can try that with iPC, if not then the other 2 that I posted.
    What you got is a KP (kernel panic).
    So try it first, if not then post your error. Are you using windows on your laptop. Did you read about dual booting? Once you can load OSX then you need to repair windows, and I supposed that you prepare for those steps?
    Regards,

  5. #5
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratvn View Post
    Hi,
    So you want me watch a little video eh? LOL
    While I enjoyed your video, it's kind blurry and hard to tell. Next time maybe use a camera and take a picture?
    Make sure your BIOS settings: SATA to AHCI, ACPI enable.
    Boot options: -x -v busratio=20 cpus=1 maxmem=2048
    You can try that with iPC, if not then the other 2 that I posted.
    What you got is a KP (kernel panic).
    So try it first, if not then post your error. Are you using windows on your laptop. Did you read about dual booting? Once you can load OSX then you need to repair windows, and I supposed that you prepare for those steps?
    Regards,
    Ok, how do you get on the boot options? to put on the -x -v busratio... ill try with iPC again. I'm using Windows Vista on my laptop right now 64bit home premium. Can you provide some links on the repairing part?

    EDIT1:
    also, i just went on my BIOS settings, and i dont have an option to change from SATA to AHCI and ACPI to enable.

    EDIT2:
    So, here are some pictures from my BIOS.
    So, here are some pictures from my BIOS.



    Last edited by flipdan92; 05-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.


  6. #6
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Hi,
    What a limited BIOS option you got there!
    I guess you just have to try first to see what happens. When you put the OSX disc in for booting up, right at the darwin loading screen press F8, then just type in your boot option. You will see it appear on the screen.
    But first, check out the dual boot forum, a couple down the list from this one to get an idea, because once you got your OSX install process going then it will wipe out your MBR, if OSX install success then it's not a big problem, but if not then you can not go to OSX, and can not go to your Vista either. So be prepared.
    Regards,

  7. #7
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Hi,
    Also this is a link to another similar question that you could check out.

    http://www.hackint0sh.org/f152/126178.htm#post533077

    I just mention these issues so you're prepared ahead of time and do not get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
    Regards,

  8. #8
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So, what do i do to fix the MBR Sector so i could run dual boot on with vista and osx? Is it a software-like install? Do i just download and install right after i install osx or is it something special like i have to go on cmd to fix it. im kinda noob with these things. I searched the forums and havnt found anything.

    EDIT1:

    This is what i have found in google.
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

    it looks pretty convincing. Is that what i need to do?
    Last edited by flipdan92; 05-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Array ratvn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington, United States
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    140

    Default

    Yes, that looks good. It's just software. So if you have your vista disc then you can go back to vista but you can not boot your new OSX. If you format your new partition primary then once OSX installed ok, then you can use its boot loader to boot both vista and osx. Those mentioned are just in case your install went south and things get stuck.

  10. #10
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratvn View Post
    Yes, that looks good. It's just software. So if you have your vista disc then you can go back to vista but you can not boot your new OSX. If you format your new partition primary then once OSX installed ok, then you can use its boot loader to boot both vista and osx. Those mentioned are just in case your install went south and things get stuck.
    Ok, good, so i have that on a check now...

    Right now, the problem im having is still the KP. I tried doing the -x -v .... and stuff and it still panicked. Any ideas?


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Distro for me (HP Pavilion dv6327ea)
    By Starwindz in forum Distributions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM
  2. HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx - Which Distro recommend & my experiences.
    By somewhat_confused in forum Distributions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
  3. Distro Suggestion for Hp Pavilion m7750n
    By omniraver in forum Distributions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 03:37 AM
  4. Distro Suggestion for Hp Pavilion dv9000
    By InnerLude in forum Distributions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 03:35 AM
  5. Which distro for HP Pavilion a6245n?
    By Gearstix in forum Distributions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:06 PM.
twitter, follow us!