Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
Discuss Upgrade from iPhone OS 3.1.2 to OS 4 with blackra1n jailbreak at the Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak) - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by lig0nberry I just did with exactly the same setup as above and ...
  1. #21
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lig0nberry View Post
    I just did with exactly the same setup as above and pwnagetool 4.01 (except week# which I don't believe matters... it's the iBoot ver. that is key. 359.3 is indeed the "old" bootrom mentioned by the dev team). Everything went smoothly and the 3Gs is happily running ios 4.0 jailbroken courtesy of the dev team... Thanks! Dev Team! You guys (and gals if any... don't really know) are awesome.

    Just repeating relevant links here for your convenience... including to a couple of "how-tos" from other kind souls.

    Dev Team: Dev-Team Blog
    Redmond Pie tutorial:Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    iPhone Download Blog tutorial: Tutorial: How to Jailbreak iPhone iOS 4 with PwnageTool

    Both tutorials are basically the same, but for all you anal people like myself, I'm sure that offers some comfort.

    The one tiny thing to clarify is that when pwnagetool says ihaz Success and tells you to put your iPhone into recovery mode and restore the ipsw, it's not meaning dfu mode... no special mode actually, just plug it into iTunes, then option-Click "Restore" (remember the option key! or Shift on windoze i think)

    Note that the restore basically gives you a "clean" iphone. You will have to restore a backup to get all your apps, music, etc. back on it. Which means, remember to do a backup before you "restore"/upgrade to ios 4!
    So is this for real? Can anyone else confirm this works?
    Will it work for 4.0.1?

    I am currently running 3.1.2 with blackrain, what would I need to do before going through the tutorial?


  2. #22
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avalanche333 View Post
    So is this for real? Can anyone else confirm this works?
    Will it work for 4.0.1?

    I am currently running 3.1.2 with blackrain, what would I need to do before going through the tutorial?
    You absolutely need to have an old bootrom. Simple test, if you can restart your blackra1n jailbroken iPhone and it starts up to the "slide to unlock" screen without any intervention - then you have old bootrom. However you need to be sure you are jailbroken with blackra1n - not Spirit.

    Also don't confuse blackra1n (jailbreak) and blacksn0w (unlock)

    The 100% accurate way to find your bootrom version is this PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac OS X

    There is no official devteam pwnagetool for iOS 4.0.1 (don't be confused - Pwnagetool 4.0.1 is a bug fix for making custom iOS 4.0 - the version numbers of PwnageTool do not always line up with the version numbers of Apple's iOS releases.

    If you use custom IPSW with new bootrom, then you will lose your jailbreak and might be forced to load 4.0.1 from Apple (that can't yet be directly jailbroken on a 3GS)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  3. #23
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    You absolutely need to have an old bootrom. Simple test, if you can restart your blackra1n jailbroken iPhone and it starts up to the "slide to unlock" screen without any intervention - then you have old bootrom. However you need to be sure you are jailbroken with blackra1n - not Spirit.

    Also don't confuse blackra1n (jailbreak) and blacksn0w (unlock)

    The 100% accurate way to find your bootrom version is this PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac OS X

    There is no official devteam pwnagetool for iOS 4.0.1 (don't be confused - Pwnagetool 4.0.1 is a bug fix for making custom iOS 4.0 - the version numbers of PwnageTool do not always line up with the version numbers of Apple's iOS releases.

    If you use custom IPSW with new bootrom, then you will lose your jailbreak and might be forced to load 4.0.1 from Apple (that can't yet be directly jailbroken on a 3GS)
    Using that method (the OSX method) I don't get the bootrom version. It has serial along with other numbers but no iBoot-359.x anywhere. And I am certain I am following "Get the iPhone into DFU mode". It's simple enough.. Any ideas? Any other way I can try?

    I did use the blackra1n jailbreak for OS 3.1.2. 100% certain of that (the blackra1n app is still on the iphone).

    So right now assuming I have old bootrom I could jailbreak with OS 4.0 is what I am hearing. Would I follow the tutorial as linked in this thread word for word? Or do I need to restore/format iPhone, upgrade to official OS 4.0 then jailbreak? If thats the case can I still backup my contacts and apps?

    Thanks for the help.

  4. #24
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avalanche333 View Post
    Using that method (the OSX method) I don't get the bootrom version. It has serial along with other numbers but no iBoot-359.x anywhere. And I am certain I am following "Get the iPhone into DFU mode". It's simple enough.. Any ideas? Any other way I can try?

    I did use the blackra1n jailbreak for OS 3.1.2. 100% certain of that (the blackra1n app is still on the iphone).

    So right now assuming I have old bootrom I could jailbreak with OS 4.0 is what I am hearing. Would I follow the tutorial as linked in this thread word for word? Or do I need to restore/format iPhone, upgrade to official OS 4.0 then jailbreak? If thats the case can I still backup my contacts and apps?

    Thanks for the help.
    if you don't get iboot - or if the screen of the iphone is not black - you are not in dfu mode
    do not upgrade to ios4. you need to restrire with custom ipsw
    your music, contacts and apps sync with iTunes. Other things - SMS history etc you will lose unless you take extra steps before/after restore.
    Last edited by Olethros; 07-28-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  5. #25
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Also restoring from jailbroken backup is a recipe for instability and bad battery life.
    What's the frequency of this battery life problem? I think I have this issue. What's the best procedure to restore a iPhone to avoid this problem?

    I have a iPhone 3GS (new bootrom, I think) with OS 3.1.2 (and blobs on Cydia). A friend brought it to me from Canada (I live in Brazil) but without the original SIM card.


  6. #26
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khoratus View Post
    What's the frequency of this battery life problem? I think I have this issue. What's the best procedure to restore a iPhone to avoid this problem?

    I have a iPhone 3GS (new bootrom, I think) with OS 3.1.2 (and blobs on Cydia). A friend brought it to me from Canada (I live in Brazil) but without the original SIM card.
    It is hard to say how frequent it is (as it is often misreported as another problem). Even Apple recommends setting up iPhone as new as a troubleshooting step for instability and battery life problems.
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  7. #27
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    It is hard to say how frequent it is (as it is often misreported as another problem). Even Apple recommends setting up iPhone as new as a troubleshooting step for instability and battery life problems.
    Thanks for your quick answer, Olethros. I will follow this advice and set up my iPhone as new.

    I read here that Ultrasn0w is more stable than Blacksn0w, but I have lost 3G when unlocking with Ultrasn0w. Is it a common problem?

    Also, as I don't have an original SIM card, my procedure was jailbreak with Blackra1n and unlock with Ultrasn0w. Is there another way to jailbreak a iPhone in emergency screen?

    Khoratus.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khoratus View Post
    Thanks for your quick answer, Olethros. I will follow this advice and set up my iPhone as new.

    I read here that Ultrasn0w is more stable than Blacksn0w, but I have lost 3G when unlocking with Ultrasn0w. Is it a common problem?

    Also, as I don't have an original SIM card, my procedure was jailbreak with Blackra1n and unlock with Ultrasn0w. Is there another way to jailbreak a iPhone in emergency screen?
    Yes - redsn0w supports both old and new bootrom.
    If you have new bootrom - I would recommend using Spirit - it works on 3.1.2

    Blacksn0w has been demonstrated to eventually send your iPhone into a restore loop. Ultrasn0w has a lot fewer reports of problems. However - I have seen a few reports of problems with the latest version of ultrasn0w. No real pattern has emerged yet.

    Advice for unlockers is always to avoid upgrading your baseband if possible. Use pwnagetool or the last ditch restore method (if you have SHSH cached)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!

  9. #29
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Yes - redsn0w supports both old and new bootrom.
    If you have new bootrom - I would recommend using Spirit - it works on 3.1.2

    Blacksn0w has been demonstrated to eventually send your iPhone into a restore loop. Ultrasn0w has a lot fewer reports of problems. However - I have seen a few reports of problems with the latest version of ultrasn0w. No real pattern has emerged yet.

    Advice for unlockers is always to avoid upgrading your baseband if possible. Use pwnagetool or the last ditch restore method (if you have SHSH cached)
    I got my phone in last December and it came with the new bootrom (and the 5.11.07 baseband). I tried to use Spirit, but as I don't have the original SIM card I wasn't able to apply it (I cannot activate the phone and get stuck at emergency call screen). I didn't know that Redsn0w could be used in this situation. Is there any tutorial to use Redsn0w I should follow?

    I have SHSH (since 3.1.2) cached. How do I use it?

    Again, thank you very much for your help.
    Khoratus

  10. #30
    Super Moderator Array Olethros's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khoratus View Post
    I got my phone in last December and it came with the new bootrom (and the 5.11.07 baseband). I tried to use Spirit, but as I don't have the original SIM card I wasn't able to apply it (I cannot activate the phone and get stuck at emergency call screen). I didn't know that Redsn0w could be used in this situation. Is there any tutorial to use Redsn0w I should follow?

    I have SHSH (since 3.1.2) cached. How do I use it?

    Again, thank you very much for your help.
    Khoratus
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    Please read the stickies & search forum before posting!
    How to report an iTunes restore/update fail in a useful manner
    -

    iPad 3G 64GB (4.3.3, Redsn0w) oldest SHSH 3.2.2
    iPhone 4 32GB (4.2.1, Redsn0w JB-monte) oldest SHSH 4.1
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (4.3.3; Pwnagetool) factory unlocked oldest SHSH 3.1
    iPhone 8GB (3.1.3; Pwnagetool) AT&T Locked - Unlocked with bootneuter

    -
    Did we solve your problem? Got a dollar or two spare ? Donate!


 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3gs jailbreak blackra1n or redsn0w
    By Cas786 in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
  2. Optimal upgrade/Jailbreak for 3.0.1+blackra1n
    By Strtpls3 in forum iPhone 3GS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 04:54 AM
  3. Jailbreak 3GS 16GB with Blackra1n RC3 help !!!
    By svretena in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM
  4. Blackra1n - unable to jailbreak
    By vikschillin in forum Blackra1n (3G(S) jailbreak)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 06:54 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 02:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:06 PM.
twitter, follow us!