Just jailbroke my apple tv (took ages, stupidity being the reason) but i thought i'd mention since i've not seen it mentioned specifically by anyone else.
Be carefull of the cable that you are using.
Some cables ( I.e. the ones with a lump at one end) will only transmit power and not data. make sure to use one you know will transmit data ( i.e. one used with a hard drive etc)
sorry if this is obvious to everyone else, but i stupidly overlooked it and people have mentioned cable problems but not spefically what it was, so i thought this might be of some help
Edit: Also could someone answer this, once i did manage to get mine in DFU and jailbreak it towards the end of the restore in itunes it came up with error 1602. BUT when i connected the atv to to my tv it showed the red fc in the bottom right corner???
So should i leave it as it is and its jailbroken or should i jailbreak it again?
Thanks in advance
Im having trouble getting my ATV 2nd gen into DFU mode. Each time I plug it into my pc, it only flashes twice and thats it. It does not flash continuously. Ive been trying for hours now and I just cannot get it into DFU mode. I want to back up the ssh blobs as I want to jailbreak it. Can anyone help me out here, its doing my head in. Thanks in advance guys, any help with this will be very much appreciated
i found it here, i'm shareing with you, it is possible to jailbreak an AppleTv 2 even if you’ve lost the Silver Remote.
1) Download the latest version of Redsn0w from Dev-Team Blog
2) Download the latest version of iOS firmware, even if you are not planning on using this version of firmware.
3) Extract Redsn0w then open it.
4) Click on Extras.
4) Click on Even More.
5) Click on DFU IPSW.
6) Click on OK.
7) Find your Firmware File and Click Open.
8) Wait for the process to finish creating the new IPSW file.
9) When done you will see the message IPSW created.
10) You can now use this firmware file to put the AppleTV into DFU mode.
11) Connect the AppleTV to your computer. Restore the newly created IPSW in iTunes. It will fail with an error, this is normal. Your AppleTv 2 is not in DFU mode. You may now use Seas0nPass to Jailbreak your AppleTv as usual, but when it get’s to the point where you put it into DFU mode, it will already detect an AppleTv in DFU mode and start the Jailbreak.