problems with patchstick install
I just bought an ATV yesterday, 1.1 in the box. Booted it up and set up my language and network, chose not to sync with itunes.
So first I created a patchstick using the instructions from http://www.cerof.net/2007/10/19/piccola ... atchstick/. I put it on an Optima 2GB thumbdrive. Even though I have Perian installed on my computer, it said during installation it could not find it. Is this because it is looking on OSBOOT and not my drive? Anyway, I plugged it into the ATV and restarted using the remote. I then saw all the correct text and at the end it would say "done" and rebooting in.... According to the instructions on this site, I let it keep rebooting over and over, but it never seemed to stop. I then pulled the USB drive, then the power plug and let it reboot. No awkardtv choice, no ability to terminal into the ATV device using the ssh -1 frontrow@AppleTV.local command. It said "connection refused" and did not give the option for a password. During installation I did notice that there was an error saying Perian could not load, and then at the end "master.passwd: file not found".
So I found in the wiki a note about the master.passwd:
* I'm getting "master.passwd: file not found" errors!
o A: please re-mount your Patchstick-root volume to /Volumes/Patchstick-root, and type:
grep '^root:' /etc/master.passwd > /Volumes/Patchstick-root/etc/master.passwd
So I typed this and it tells me that it can't find it.
SO then I tried using the .img that is around and followed the directions here: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Booting_ ... Thumbdrive
When I restarted my ATV with the USB drive in, the USB led would flash briefly, then it would go to the apple symbol, apple symbol and then "choose a lnaguage" and then restart or restore. I chose restart and the ATV restarted fine - no awkwardtv choice, no ability to terminal in with ssh. I tried doing it all over, same result. Then I chose reset to facotry settings and re-did it - nothing.
Then I went back and followed the directions at http://www.cerof.net/2007/10/19/piccola ... atchstick/ - now the box boots, the USB flashes briefly, and the box boots into appletv (no installation script). I tried twice with two different USB drives.
So - what next if I don't want to open it?
1. What does this mean exactly to a novice at Terminal: please re-mount your Patchstick-root volume to /Volumes/Patchstick-root
2. I don't even see a "etc" folder in my patchstick after creation, so I am confused by the recommended command? I must be too new and missing something.
3. Why is it that now I can't even get the install text to come up and the ATV just boots even though the patchstick was created and inserted just like it was before?
4. Why is Perian not being recognized?
5. Any suggestions, thoughts?