Just a couple of things that would be really great: is it possible to get better integration between NitoTV, Sapphire, ATVFiles and Software Menu?
1) Have a common directory for storing movie image files, or give Nito an option to use the Sapphire image directory.
2) Ability to have several directories that can be read; Movies, Music Videos, Albums etc.
3) A better weather interface (like XBMC)
4) Manually unload SMB mount points
5) Ability to import playlists directly from itunes or a connected ipod
6) Ability to email console logs directly to own email to save time logging in
Also in the wiki you say that Nito can read .tar.bz2 files in ~/Documents/Packages. It would be great to take that one step further. Is it possible to get Nito to take the apple update image and the recovery image from the documents folder when smart update is run and then create a new image with all the needed files in? That way if ever the system crashes, that file can be just placed in the documents folder allowing Nito to update everything in one shot.
1. i've never used sapphire so i'd have to do some research as to where and how it stores everything before that would ever become a possibility
2. I feel like that would be adding more categories to nitoTV, which already has too many in my opinion, i like the idea of being better organized but it's a bit tricky, the files section of the code is already a mess in a drastic need of a re-write. I'm not outright rejecting the option, just saying that its complicated.
3. that has been on the to-do list for a while but there have been too many other issues pending to need fixing or retooling for weather to get the attention it needs and deserves, so it WILL happen eventually, just not sure how soon.
4. manually unload smb shares? not sure what you mean by that. you can unmount any volume from the file listing by hitting < on it (smb,afp,nfs,usb,iso)_ has all done this since the appletv 1.x days.
5. there is some basic ipod integration if you install iTunes Fs from the install section, you can mount and play from an ipod, just not import or sync, that ranks a maybe there is a lot of open source code out there that could help me, but i dont see it being in the immediate future.
6. that is an interesting idea which i could see being fairly easy, although i've found mounting the appletv to my computer to copy stuff off has always been the easiest option, although if you are on a PC (which i assume you are since you want anything to do w/ smb ;) ) then i guess that isn't an option, although ftp always could be.
on a general note, nitoTV is probably going to be a bit neglected after 0.7.8 (found some major bugs in the 2.4 gesture stuff, and a big mount bug too, so 0.7.8 is probably coming out tonight sometime) due to school and pending iPhone projects, this isn't to say it won't be worked on ever again, just be on a undetermined hiatus while i get some other projects done. just putting that note out there to put the above responses into a better context.
It would be nice to be able to add metadata from within nitoTV along the xbmc lines. Sapphire has never really worked well for me on either the AppleTV or the Mac Mini. The xbmc/plex approach seems way simpler.
Now, if only Apple would do something with the ATV.... It's still great but it kind of feels frozen in time...
nitoTV does support metadata, it doesn't fetch it for you but it supports metadata in the same format that ATVFiles does, as far as XBMC goes, its been written and developed since way before the AppleTV existed (let alone nitoTV) so it has a major head start, not to mention there is more than one person working on it.
Either way i appreciate the support and the fact that nitoTV kept you from selling or giving up on the AppleTV (hell this development has kept me from selling mine as an expensive worthless paperweight as well) please don't consider this as me giving up on it, i just need a break and have been meaning to take one from it for a long time.
0.7.9 Fixed gesture issues in DVDPlayback and MPlayer playback. The "options" button in the remote app is mapped to "hold menu" for changing between keymaps in DVD and MPlayer playback. Fixed Smart Installer bug for DVDPlayback framework stub not being moved if update was preformed rather than a restore. Fixed one crash bug in adding suffixes, blacklist volumes or MPlayer arguments (there is still another elusive bug that casuses some crashes there). Fixed another file browsing crash bug. Added subtitle size toggle for MPlayer (only works to toggle between the default fonts installed with nitoTV, Arial-14 - Arial-28)
If you have any plans to translate NitoTV to add support to other languages I can do it for you in Portuguese and Spanish.
all you would need to do is add the relevant .lproj folder to the resources folder with a translated Localizable.strings file. Spanish.lproj is the one for spanish, im not sure about portuguese, my guess would be pt.lproj, you can post the files here or pm them after you make them and ill bundle them with subsequent releases.
Is there something I have to do to get mplayer to work? I have upgraded to nitoTV .79 under ATV2.4 . If I set the default player to be Quicktime then everything works great with xvid files ( I have Perian 1.1.3 installed). However, if I set the player to be mplayer then I get a blank screen with sound. Is there a conflict with Perian? The files are on an external USB hard drive.