Thanks a lot guys, especially JonMS. I can report that the 10.5.8 (optimized, downloaded from torrent) installed and works just fine (using carbon copy cloner).
1. I could connect an old usb hub (1.1) and can verify that it works. (I don't have a USB 2 hub at the moment to test).
2. I didn't check the analog audio out, but can verify a USB audio interface works. Mine is an el cheapo one that looks like a USB flash drive but with a headphone port on it. I connect it through the hub.
3. I managed to connect USb flash drives to the system too through the hub. An external hardware (USB powered) didn't work however, not enough power.
4. The system is a bit slow. The main bottleneck is the limited amount of RAM, while the 1 GHz CPU and the GPU (that works just fine) seems to work great while there is enough free memory. The hard drive is quite slow, so as soon as you hit the disk for swap things get too slow.
5. To minimize memory usage, I disabled spotlight, turned off all sharing (JonMS has screen, internet and file sharing turned on).
After that, Ihave something like 70MB wired memory, 80MB active and about 130MB free (free + inactive).
To me it's a single application machine. I either let it run itunes to play internet radio, or run chrome (in my experience chrome has the best memory management of "capable" browsers. By capable I mean (chrome, firefox, safari). Unfortunately Netsurf crashes on this machine (while it works fine on my macbook pro 10.6).
At some point I will try connecting a USB 2.0 hi speed hub with a high speed USB flash, and will see if moving the swap file to it has any impact. But for now, I'm quite happy with my new Mac!
Hi is there anyway to get the 10.5.8 image onto appleTv hdd using a windows 7 laptop,what if I put apple tv hdd into a usb caddy and use mac drive to view osx hdd in windows and drop image onto it,will it work?
No my recommendation would be to get a USB sound card.
Originally Posted by Pamela1980
Has the Audio Issue been resolved ? (10.5.8 Version) 01-09-2011
is there a download avaiable for the prebuilt leopard-image anywhere !? all the links in original posts are broken :/
These are illegal to distribute and against the policies of this forum to post links.
just need to get the torx screw drivers then I'm on my way. Just wondering, what is considered optical audio? The non hdmi cords that can connect the apple tv to the tv? All i have is an hdmi chord, but I was wondering if USB speakers would work, or if i'd need the usb sound card mentioned above. Also the case to connect the apple tv hard drive says PATA/EIDE. This was the only 2.5 other than the SATA one, which this case clearly points out it is not. Hopefully it will work, if not there's a good return policy.
Like George earlier on in the thread, I installed an image (2. Vanilla) to my HD using CCC, put it back in the AppleTV only to be greeted by a flashing question mark. Could anyone give me any advice as to what may have gone wrong?
I recommend using my 10.5.8 ver2 image. Best performance of all the images and I'm seeding it right now.
Originally Posted by Paperface
Ok, I'll give that a go, thanks.