Discuss Installing Mac OS X on appleTV HDD via USB at the AppleTV 1 - Hackint0sh.org; I know a lot of people are probably going to be editing there ATV HDD ...
Installing Mac OS X on appleTV HDD via USB
I know a lot of people are probably going to be editing there ATV HDD via usb, so I made this guide to help them out with installing Mac OS X on it, because macs can't boot into usb, the installer says it won't allow an install, this bypasses that
Installing Mac OS X on a usb drive is not impossible but its not worth it, So i made up a method to install it indirectly.
1. Create a new .dmg image from disk utility (8gb of space is good enough)
2. Once that's done, partition that image, to 1 partition with the name AppleTVDrive, MAKE SURE in options you choose GUID
3. Open up the Mac OS X Install Disk 1, navigate to System/Library/Packages/OSinstall.mpkg
4. Install Mac to the image as you normally would, recommended slim install, no printer drivers and language translations
5. Once you change all the stuff, like replacing the Finder and mach_kernal so that you can run it on the ATV, copy it over to your ATV HDD via usb, just use dd
find out how to copy it over using dd somewhere else, i haven't done it yet, once I do, ill put it here
O and sorry if my instructions are vague, I did it in sort of a rush, wish me luck for a sticky though!!
Last edited by xShad0w; 08-01-2007 at 04:41 AM.
besause I have no Mac intel (only a PowerMac and a powerbook) I can install OSX, but for my apple TV I would try to run osx !
So can you upload this dmg. I know that can be very long but if you zip it in some file of 500Mo, I can use my ftp server to do it.
PS : Sorry for my bad english
By cltredneck in forum AppleTV 1
Last Post: 12-23-2009, 09:51 PM
By michael_fowler in forum AppleTV 1
Last Post: 07-08-2008, 12:14 PM