Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 100
Discuss [AppleTV] Bricked by ATVPatch? at the AppleTV 1 - Hackint0sh.org; Hi All, I followed the instruction given by Parallax, and everything (during the preparation process) ...
  1. #31
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hi All,

    I followed the instruction given by Parallax, and everything (during the preparation process) appears to go just fine...

    USB Stick is inserted, and my Apple TV boots it - linux/apple tv logo appears and linux starts running... at some point I'm given the IP address and I can then telnet to the Apple TV (I did notice there is some boot patchstick fail message message just before the telnet is launched)

    Having mounted and copied the restore partition back I unmount everything...

    Unplug power and then wait for magic to happen ;o) Unfortunately all I get is a flickering screen with a mix of apple logo and an appletv box with a questionmark...

    So it seems that the recovery partition is not booting .... now I'm stuck - does anyone have any ideas to have to proceed from here ?

    Many thanks in advance...

    Cheers,
    Alex
    Last edited by piofun; 06-30-2008 at 09:40 AM.


  2. #32
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtg941f View Post
    I'm having trouble at the telnet stage.

    I'm using a Time Capsule (w/ Airport Router), and when I go into settings/about, the IP shows as DHCP 10.0.1.198

    When I type in terminal "telnet 10.0.1.198"
    It spits back
    my-macbook:~ my$ telnet 10.0.1.198
    Trying 10.0.1.198...
    telnet: connect to address 10.0.1.198: Connection refused
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

    Any advice? I'm sure this is so incredibly simple but I'm still relatively new to macs. I appreciate any help.
    When the Patchstick boots the ATV, you should be told what IP it has on the screen. Make sure that's the address you're telnetting to.

    You may also have to use wired Ethernet, I don't know if this works over wireless. Sorry.

  3. #33
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piofun View Post
    Unplug power and then wait for magic to happen ;o) Unfortunately all I get is a flickering screen with a mix of apple logo and an appletv box with a questionmark...

    So it seems that the recovery partition is not booting .... now I'm stuck - does anyone have any ideas to have to proceed from here ?
    Hmmm. This could be due either to you, or (more likely) my instructions. I was sort of expecting someone to come along after my guide and point out all the errors in my instructions, 'cos I wrote them from memory and I'm no expert, but no one did.

    At step 24, if you just type "mount," what do you get?

  4. #34
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    it's saying:

    penbuntu login: root
    Password:
    # cd /
    #mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw)
    #

    And after running the commands (after sync command)

    #sync
    #mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw)
    /dev/sdb1 on /src type hfsplus (ro,umask=22, uid=0, gid=0, nls=utf8)
    /dev/sda2 on /dst type hfsplus (rw,umask=22, uid=0, gid=0, nls=utf8)
    #

    I noticed that after copying the content from the recovery directory on the USB stick to dst - then I can list the content from dst directory (Bootlogo.png, boot.efi, OS.dmg, com.apple.Boot.plist) - however rebooting the Apple TV and then mounting dst and ls'ing it - shows that the partition is empty ?

    Thanks !


    Quote Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
    Hmmm. This could be due either to you, or (more likely) my instructions. I was sort of expecting someone to come along after my guide and point out all the errors in my instructions, 'cos I wrote them from memory and I'm no expert, but no one did.

    At step 24, if you just type "mount," what do you get?

  5. #35
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Do it again but this time include a full copy of your entire telnet session. That way we can double check that something was not mis-typed.

    Also before the umount of src and dst do this and post the response.


    ls -l /dst

    cat /dst/com.apple.Boot.plist


    make sure you umount src and dst before rebooting. Also another trick is umount the src and dst, then remove the USB flash. atv-bootloader is ram disk based so you can remove as long as there is not a UBS flash partition mounted.

    Then type "reboot" and it should reboot into the AppleTV recovery menu.


    @Parallax -> sorry I did not respond, I guess I'm the AppleTV recovery expert around here , your instructions seem fine. You don't need step 17a, when the AppleTV is booting under recovery mode it looks for a partition with the recovery GUID.


  6. #36
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for taking your time to help ! - I kind of got desperate yesterday and tried out a full recovery image posted at atvmod.com forum. It restored the recovery partition and following the OSBoot partition - and the Apple TV is now up and running 2.02

    If anybody should be interrested then the image can be found from (hope I don't get killed for posting those links ):

    http://rapidshare.com/files/12597038...part1.rar.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/12597399...part2.rar.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/12597792...part3.rar.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/12597996...part4.rar.html


    I just erased the USB stick (1GB) using diskutil GUI (HFS journaled) and then from terminal ran:

    sudo dd if=/dev/disk<X> of=Desktop/recovery_fix.img bs=1m

    <X> should obviously be replaced with the USB stick device ID (can be found from doing a "diskutil list")

    Cheers,
    Alex


    Quote Originally Posted by davilla View Post
    Do it again but this time include a full copy of your entire telnet session. That way we can double check that something was not mis-typed.

    Also before the umount of src and dst do this and post the response.


    ls -l /dst

    cat /dst/com.apple.Boot.plist


    make sure you umount src and dst before rebooting. Also another trick is umount the src and dst, then remove the USB flash. atv-bootloader is ram disk based so you can remove as long as there is not a UBS flash partition mounted.

    Then type "reboot" and it should reboot into the AppleTV recovery menu.


    @Parallax -> sorry I did not respond, I guess I'm the AppleTV recovery expert around here , your instructions seem fine. You don't need step 17a, when the AppleTV is booting under recovery mode it looks for a partition with the recovery GUID.

  7. #37
    Newbie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default recovery fix image

    Ialso used that recovery fix image and it fully restored my ATV and got rid of all the bricktv crap...

    worked great...load it up and then do a factory restore...

    It changes your base restore to 2.02...so if you had an old atv that was say a 1.0 when you use this patch it upgrades your restore to 2.02.

    Enjoy.

  8. #38
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Am I reading this wrong, or when you copy the "patch" dir from the desktop, and put it on the USB drive, you will have to either replace or cancel, because there are two recovery folders? If this is true, which one do you do?

  9. #39
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    step 10. Make a directory on the USB stick called "recovery."


    where do you see the ref to a second recovery directory?

  10. #40
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    on step 8 it says to extract the folder. When I did this, the extracted folder was named recovery...?


 

 

LinkBacks (?)


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
  2. Atvpatch dot com is gone for good?
    By claudiu1975 in forum AppleTV 1
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
  3. New ATVPatch?
    By b1tr0t in forum AppleTV 1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:13 AM.
twitter, follow us!