Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Discuss Apple TV update from Apple disabled ssh and removed plugins! at the AppleTV 1 - Hackint0sh.org; Originally Posted by iMags I didn't get it to work.. What am I supposed to ...
  1. #11
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMags View Post
    I didn't get it to work.. What am I supposed to see? I tried my iPod 5.5 gen too, but still nothing...

    Can anyone please tell me how to install the patchstick.img to an iPod??
    I have only tried it on a IPOD Shuffle. I am assuming you have downloaded the patchstick.img

    Firstly I plugged the shuffle into my computer and opened DISK UTILITY. I highlighted the shuffle disk (not the partition!) and right clicked and selected information. Write down the disk identifier (in my case it was disk5). In DISK UTILITY (with the drive still highlighted) I selected the PARTITION tab. Clicked on Options and chose 'Guid partition table. I then formatted the drive with the partition name PATCHSTICK (Itunes may launch at this point so press CANCEL and quit the application). You probably dont have to reformat the drive but I thought it would be better to start with a blank canvas.

    (WARNING : PLEASE..PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE BECAUSE YOU COULD WIPE THE WRONG DRIVE!)

    Open TERMINAL and unmount the partition you created above

    diskutil unmount /volumes/patchstick

    now copy the patchstick.img to the Shuffle/IPOD (my disk is DISK5 - yours could be different!)
    Ensure you CD to the directory the img is in or use its full path

    $ dd if=patchstick.img of=/dev/disk5 bs=1m

    It may take a while to run.

    When its finished unplug it from your computer and plug it into your appletv. Then press the MENU and - key on the remote to reboot the Apple TV. Hopefully it should boot from the USB drive in verbose mode. An on screen message will tell you when it has finished enabling SSH and Perian and tell you remove the power supply to the Apple TV, remove the USB drive and reconnect the power supply to reboot the Apple TV.

    I took information from : http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Booti...USB_Thumbdrive

    Good Luck.


  2. #12
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMags View Post
    I just updated my Apple TV (to get the official YouTube support-thing) and all my 3rd-party plugins is gone and I can't log in with ssh!

    I'm going to try to fix this, but don't update your aTV if you want to keep your plugins and such!
    Hey,

    It is possible to apply the necessary bits of the update without actually running the updater, and thus disabling all that good shit.

    Here, in the Safe Update section: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/YouTube_Patch

    Cheers!

    S_B

  3. #13
    Rookie Array

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S_Bruv View Post
    Hey,

    It is possible to apply the necessary bits of the update without actually running the updater, and thus disabling all that good shit.

    Here, in the Safe Update section: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/YouTube_Patch

    Cheers!

    S_B
    Oh, sorry, and I forgot to say, the latest ATVFiles (0.3.2) is compatible with the update (the old one isn't). Just copy it over as usual.

    S_B

  4. #14
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chas0001 View Post
    I have only tried it on a IPOD Shuffle. I am assuming you have downloaded the patchstick.img

    Firstly I plugged the shuffle into my computer and opened DISK UTILITY. I highlighted the shuffle disk (not the partition!) and right clicked and selected information. Write down the disk identifier (in my case it was disk5). In DISK UTILITY (with the drive still highlighted) I selected the PARTITION tab. Clicked on Options and chose 'Guid partition table. I then formatted the drive with the partition name PATCHSTICK (Itunes may launch at this point so press CANCEL and quit the application). You probably dont have to reformat the drive but I thought it would be better to start with a blank canvas.

    (WARNING : PLEASE..PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE BECAUSE YOU COULD WIPE THE WRONG DRIVE!)

    Open TERMINAL and unmount the partition you created above

    diskutil unmount /volumes/patchstick

    now copy the patchstick.img to the Shuffle/IPOD (my disk is DISK5 - yours could be different!)
    Ensure you CD to the directory the img is in or use its full path

    $ dd if=patchstick.img of=/dev/disk5 bs=1m

    It may take a while to run.

    When its finished unplug it from your computer and plug it into your appletv. Then press the MENU and - key on the remote to reboot the Apple TV. Hopefully it should boot from the USB drive in verbose mode. An on screen message will tell you when it has finished enabling SSH and Perian and tell you remove the power supply to the Apple TV, remove the USB drive and reconnect the power supply to reboot the Apple TV.

    I took information from : http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Booti...USB_Thumbdrive

    Good Luck.
    Thanks, but..
    When I tried to change the partition scheme to GUID Partition Table and pressed the button "Partition" I got this:

  5. #15
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMags View Post
    Thanks, but..
    When I tried to change the partition scheme to GUID Partition Table and pressed the button "Partition" I got this:
    Sorry I did not receive that error when trying my shuffle and nano. Perhaps the drive is locked by itunes (or another app).

    When you plug your ipod is plugged into your pc does itunes automatically launch? If so
    select it in itunes and ensure that under the summary tab ('Enable disk usage' is checked and 'Open itunes when ipod is connected' is unchecked). Click Apply and close itunes. The drive should still be mounted on the desktop. Try again to format it.

    let me know how you get on.


  6. #16
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    And the Volume Format should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or...?

    Anyway...
    I got the same thing again: Invalid Argument

    EDIT:
    Same f***ing error with a 5.5th gen iPod

    EDIT2:
    I tried with Disk Utility from Leopard 9a466 and that worked
    Now I have my 5.5th gen iPod as a GUID partition-thing.

    And I'll try the next steps.
    Last edited by iMags; 06-21-2007 at 10:53 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    After Terminal did it's work I got an error-message on my mac:

    I plugged my iPod in my Apple TV, pressed MENU and -. It rebooted normally, no verbose.

    Every time it booted it sent me to the Apple TV Recovery screen and I have to reboot my Apple TV from there to get to the aTV-menu.

    Help?
    Last edited by iMags; 06-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.

  8. #18
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMags View Post
    After Terminal did it's work I got an error-message on my mac:

    I plugged my iPod in my Apple TV, pressed MENU and -. It rebooted normally, no verbose.

    Every time it booted it sent me to the Apple TV Recovery screen and I have to reboot my Apple TV from there to get to the aTV-menu.

    Help?
    try the (Menu - )thing it a few times while it tries to boot. Again I have only tried it with a USB stick (shuffle) not a HDD IPOD.

  9. #19
    Advanced Array

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The disk insertion message is quite normal because the disk has been imaged with a format that only the appletv recognises.

  10. #20
    Senior Professional Array

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I didn't get this to work, but I have an old image of Mac OS X modified for Apple TV.
    I'm am restoring that image to an external drive right now to see if I can boot aTV from it.

    Then I can install ssh, but what if Apple has designed a new Watchdog???


 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
  3. MacNN: Briefly: Keynote Pro outs Aurora, MBS plugins get update
    By hackint0sh in forum Latest Headlines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
(c) 2006-2012 Hackint0sh.org
All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:44 PM.
twitter, follow us!